Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Rebuilding my C and C Cage: Looking for opinions

scarlettraven

Cavy Slave
Right now my 2 girls are in a 2x3 cage. I did build them a 2nd level (2x1) but have since removed it. They refused to go up the ramp and I found it really hard to clean.

I have decide to expand their cage to a 2x4 and switch from Boxo bedding (less expensive type of carefresh like bedding) to fleece!! :D I have bought 3 really cute prints from the fabric store and am picking up a uhaul pad tomorrow.

I would like a dedicated kitchen area in the hopes of keeping their poop/pee in one area as much as possible. I was thinking of using Yesterday's News as the litter. Right now they have a coroplast box I made under their hayrack and they use it alot as a litter box.

Here are my questions:

1. Do you think if I make the kitchen area with litter 2x1 it will still leave them enough room for laps ect. I assume 1x1 is too small for a kitchen area?

2. Or should I just have a large litter pan under their hay rack/food dish in one area

3. Any thoughts on Yesterday's News? Is is a good product to use with guinea pigs? I figure it will be easier to clean off fleece than bedding.

Thank you in advance for your imput! :eek:

Sorry...one more question, I have no idea how to edit my post...

Is it safe to use shredded paper as litter? I work at a law firm and we shredd computer paper on a regular basis so i would have an unlimited amount available.

1. They. Can still run as long as you keep toys/hides to the center so they can run around the edges. I think 1x1 is too small for kitchen. 2x1 is better.

2. This would work, but they will drag more hay out/ around if using a litter pan.

3. I am not a fan of yesterday's news, and personally prefer some small fleece pads that can be removed more easily on heavy potty areas.

Happy sewing! :)

Yes, shredded paper is said to be okay, but I would worry they would eat too much if that's in their kitchen area. I personally don't use it because one of my guys would just eat paper all day and nothing else (not good!) but he may be the exception (my other two do not have this same paper hunger).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.