Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Rearranging her own cage and knocking down her hay rack....help!!

arionat799

Cavy Slave
As you can see from the title, Ginger keeps rearranging her cage and knocking down her hay rack, and i need help!! :p I have her litter box (made from coro) in the top left corner of Ginger's cage, and she's decided it'd be fun to make mommy mad and push it around and go behind it. It's getting very annoying. How can I get her to stop? What can I do to attach the litter box to the side of the cage/keep it in place?! Also, inside of her litter box is her hay rack which she also thinks is fun to make mommy mad and knock down. That little stinker! How can I make her stop?! Thanks for the help!

This is when she moves her litter box:
[GuineaPigCages.com] Rearranging her own cage and knocking down her hay rack....help!! [GuineaPigCages.com] Rearranging her own cage and knocking down her hay rack....help!!

And knocking down her litter box:
[GuineaPigCages.com] Rearranging her own cage and knocking down her hay rack....help!!

2 words. Zip. Ties.

Those binder clips that you have on the litter box, you could just force them wide enough to clip the littler box to the side as well

A hole punch might work as well. A couple of holes, a few zip-ties and you should be good to go!

Couldn't you find some way to clip the Litter box + hay manger to something that the piggies cannot move?

My pigs have knocked down their hay rack too. Usually that is when their cage is cleaned and they accidentally popcorn under it, but that do it (intentionally) sometimes besides that. Most Litter Boxes come with a few cage clips. And, if those won't work, you could try zip ties. It looks like your litter box is made out of leftover Coroplast or something? In that case, poke some holes in it if you want to use zip ties for the manger and the box itself. That way you could zip tie the whole thing to the grids.

Ok, I need to get bigger/wider binder cips though because those ones are too small. What about the hay rack? How do you clip that?

Next time I walk into the boys' room and notice it before I fix it, I'll try to get a picture of what Bocefus thinks is "fun" in his cage. ;]

Like @Zuidy said, try to poke some holes to zip tie the hay rack [aka: manger] to the coroplast. Or raise is slightly and connect it directly to the grids

Ok, I need to get bigger/wider binder cips though because those ones are too small. What about the hay rack? How do you clip that?

I can't tell, how do the Pigs get hay from the rack? It looks like it has a bottom and no openings elsewhere from looking at that picture. If you make it have several openings and you use long strands of hay, you can move the hay rack up so it rests on the grids and zip tie it instead of it being clipped onto the litter box itself.

Haha my boys used to do the same exact thing. You can try using the binder clip to secure the litter pan to the cage. I cut holes in the litter pan and tied it to the grids with a shoe lace, and that worked just fine.

As for the hay rack maybe she has trouble reaching the hay? I would maybe try a different hay rack and see which works best. You can try putting blankets or cardboard tunnels in the cage to give her something else to play with.

The hay sticks out from the top, and she jumps up to eat it. I think I will try a new rack, it does seem a bit difficult for her. Thanks! :)

I will get some bigger binder clips A.S.A.P. so I can clip the litter box to the side of the cage.

I would attach it thru the coroplast to grids with zip ties. Lower the hay rack so she cant get under it to knock it off.

I don't have any zip ties. Also, the hay rack is connected to the side of the litter box, that's as low as it goes.

I don't have any zip ties. Also, the hay rack is connected to the side of the litter box, that's as low as it goes.

You say you are getting a new manger and binder clips, so why can't you get zip ties? If you want to get binder clips, get zip ties instead. They have many uses with Piggies and you can get them at any store you can get binder clips at. They will work a lot better, to.

So they have zip ties at Office Max/Office Depot?

(broken link removed)_

They may vary by stores, but there you go.

They sell zip ties in Walmart and Target too. They will be in the auto-section and called cable ties but it is the same thing.

Looks like you got the hay rack in the wrong direction. It's designed to be attached outside of the cage and for the pet to get hay through the cage bars.
(broken link removed)

Last edited:
What?! OMG thank you sooo much!! I am banging my head against a wall right now...*sigh*...

You're welcome :)

If you get larger binder clips, it should keep the coro sides clipped together and she won't be able to move her litter box. If you zip tie, it will be hard to remove for cleaning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.