Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet really red feet?

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i recently adopted a female, spayed guinea pig, who is somewhere around 5 plus years old. she is a little on the thin side, but eating well. recently i noticed she has really, really red feet. she was kept on fleece, and is now on fleece as well. there'd no swelling, no sores, and her walking doesn't seem to be affected. it doesn't look like any of the pictures i've seen of bumblefoot. what could this be. better yet, what can i do to prevent it from getting worse, and to help her heal?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
are you able to get photos?

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i might be able to post pics tomorrow - i won't have someone around to help me till then!

rottiemominde

Cavy Slave
When I took my Sugar to the vet for the 1st time for a check-up after I brought them home from the rescue, the vet noticed she had a lot of redness too. The vet recommended I put hydrocortisone on her to try to calm/cure the redness in case it was from some type of rubbing. (It ultimately ended up being her "normal" color.)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can try gently rubbing in cold compressed virgin coconut oil, which you can get from the grocery or the pharmacy.

Delaine

Cavy Slave
When I first got my girls I thought their feet also looked red. I asked her breeder about it and she said, "Guinea Pigs will bear the bulk of their weight on their back legs and feet so you you might notice that the pad after the foot pad is red. It can also be from standing on surfaces that are too wet for long periods. The skin gets chapped. If the surface of the skin is not torn open and the pig is not favouring one leg over the other then you have no worries. It could just be you seeing the blood in the tissue just below the surface of that part of the foot, especially if the skin in that area is white or clear. Try pushing the palm of your hand onto the edge of something then lift your hand and look at it. It will appear red as the blood pools near the surface of your skin. This is what is happening in the guinea pigs foot and pad behind it when they stand on it." It made sense to me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.