Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) realization about homeless cavies

CavyLover2012

Cavy Slave
I have several cavies and would have them all if I could. I recently had an issue with a sick guinea upon which the place took responsibility and got him care. In this moment most of the vets I called either did not see small pets or charged 35+ per piggie. I see it like this most people would surrender their pigs (as most have at least 2) before handing over 70+ just to walk in the door. My region vet for doggie does not regularly see small pet but will only charge 1 office visit for multiples brought in at same time. I however lost confidence in him when I took my female and asked him to check for pregnancy and got told there's no way to tell without ultrasounding. He never touched her. The local 4h office helped me instead. People should check out vets whenever considering getting exotic. *I will now get off my soapbox

Last edited:
I have 8 guinea pigs and provide medical care for them, no matter what it costs. Most of the time, they've been healthy, but I have have significant vet bills in the past. Someone who surrenders a pet because it needs medical care tells me that they weren't serious about pet ownership in the first place or didn't think it through before getting it. I think one of the good reasons to adopt from a rescue rather than buying a guinea pig is that rescues will be up front about the costs and care of guinea pigs and not automatically adopt out to someone they think might not provide it a good home. Not all "exotic" vets are good. Sometimes finding the right one means calling around or asking other guinea pig owners for recommendations.

Oh I totally get it. I have 8 and the sick one makes 9 when he comes home. I agree. Many parents buy guineas as pets for kids. I have witnessed that the family dog has more vet privalages then the easter chicken bunny or birthday hamster or guinea. I am saying these little guys need the same care. I also don't think it ok though for a vet to say 2 dogs sure one office visit charge oh you have 2 guineas well if you want them better that will be 2 seperate office charges. There are no rescues close nor as far as I know serious cavy people yet I know the stores are selling tons. Who takes care of them. I am now going to the next county a university town that has care. You are absolutely right in finding a good vet

Oh I totally get it. I have 8 and the sick one makes 9 when he comes home. I agree. Many parents buy guineas as pets for kids. I have witnessed that the family dog has more vet privalages then the easter chicken bunny or birthday hamster or guinea. I am saying these little guys need the same care. I also don't think it ok though for a vet to say 2 dogs sure one office visit charge oh you have 2 guineas well if you want them better that will be 2 seperate office charges. There are no rescues close nor as far as I know serious cavy people yet I know the stores are selling tons. Who takes care of them. I am now going to the next county a university town that has care. You are absolutely right in finding a good vet

I have two vets I use. They've both given me discounts for multiple pets. Quite a few years back,I had one I took in that had Giardia. I was concerned about all my others. Once she was diagnosed by the vet, they asked me to call in all of their weights and I didn't have to bring the others in. All I had to do was cover the meds. The other vets will prescribe meds for any of them as long as they've been seen in the last year. She also didn't charge me any follow up office visit charges when my male developed an abscess three weeks after being neutered. When you have a lot of pets, a good vet will really try and work with you to keep your business. Sometimes it's just a matter of asking. Another thing one of the vets does is waive the initial well check office visit for any animal adopted from a non profit rescue or shelter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.