Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Realistic chances that pair introductions won't work

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Hello, more experienced cavy owners! I would love to hear from you about what the chances will be that introducing two sow pairs won't work...meaning that they'll hate one another and I won't be able to join them.

This is taking into account the fact that I'll be doing everything that is suggested for introductions....neutral territory, let them be (unless blood is drawn), give them time, food, and water, etc. Completely clean the cage (2x6 c&c) and supplies so that it doesn't smell like any one pig, removing 1-entrance hideys, having enough dishes, water, etc.

After doing all of that, what are the chances that the pairing won't work?? I'm stressing over this and don't know if my concern about it is as real as I think. Do most pairings work (with time, patience, and correct intro protocols) or is this something that I should really be concerned about?

I'd greatly appreciate any advice/knowledge. Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's very little chance that it won't work. Sows aren't as territorial as boars, and most will live happily with another pig.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Ohhhh bpatters, I was hoping you'd chime in! Thank you! This makes me feel so much better!!! THANK YOU!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
In my experience it is quite likely to work out with sows. Out of my 9 sows (1 trio, 3 pairs) there is only one pair that I would absolutely not put together with any other group, but that is due to one girl in that pair who is a special case as she was badly traumatised before she came to me. She has all kinds of issues with both other guinea pigs and me. Her cage mate was the only one out of all of my girls that was able to get along with her, which I can say with confidence as I did end up trying almost all of them with her.

If I had the space for a cage big enough I would be tempted to put all of my girls together, bar that one pair. There would be a few individuals I would keep a close eye on as they have very dominant personalities, but I suspect everything would work out okay.

alanaafaye

Cavy Slave
Definitely should be fine! I introduced a trio to a pair (all sows) and they get along beautifully. There's always hormonal days where they mount and rumblestrut excessively, but as a whole they get along. Good luck with your intros!

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone! Whew!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I agree with @Soecara. I've only had two sows I couldn't pair with any other guinea pigs. The one thing they both had in common was that they were really picked on by other guinea pigs before I got them. Both of them had battles scars... chewed up ears, etc. What I noticed was that guinea pigs that have been traumatized like that are often on the defense and will react quickly out of fear to protect themselves. What's interesting is that both of mine were really social with us and were two of the friendliest guinea pigs we've had. We made sure we gave them a lot of attention because they wanted to interact with us.... just not with other guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.