Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Ready to order KMs pellets but have a question

Delaine

Cavy Slave
I am ready to order KMs pellets. I have my quote and it is not bad. It will be way cheaper in the long run to order 20 lbs. instead of 10 lbs. My question is, this amount may last me approximately 6 months. Are they still going to be fresh? I read somewhere they are good for about 225 days or so. I read bpatters that you order twice a year and you also have two guinea pigs.

Has anyone had a guinea pig that didn't like KMs pellets? I have wasted quite a few pellets in the past 10 months so I am hoping these will work.

For any Canadians out there interested in ordering KMs pellets it is going to cost me $61.95 for 20 lbs. Considering I pay over $16.00 for 5 lbs. of Oxbow that is pretty good. I am just hoping there will be no extra fees for GST or a brokerage fee crossing the border. I will let you know what happens once I get them.

I will wait until I get a yeah from you guys before I send in the order.

Just keep 'em cool and dry.

I DID IT! I am quite excited. Those fussy girls better like them. If I don't get charged anything else going through the border, I will have SAVED money. We have a 12 % tax added on everything. So by the time I get my Oxbow pellets home they have cost me approximately $18.00 for 5 lbs.

Also make sure you keep the pellets in a dark place in an airtight container. That will keep the Vitamin C in the pellets. :)

So excited for you! Your piggies are going to love it!

Hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know how long a 10lb bag would last if I have two boars?
Thanks!

Same as for two sows -- you feed either one about 1/8 cup per day. My two sows go through about 25 pounds, give or take a few, in a year.

Hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know how long a 10lb bag would last if I have two boars?
Thanks!

I asked Nessa the same question at KMs. She said you should feed 1/8 to 1/4 cup per day per pig. If KMs pellets weighs the same as Oxbow Timothy pellets and you feed 1/8 cup per pig, 10 lbs. would last 2 guinea pigs approximately 3 1/2 months.

Also make sure you keep the pellets in a dark place in an airtight container. That will keep the Vitamin C in the pellets. :)

Thanks, I asked the same question to Nessa at KMs, but haven't heard back from her yet.

Same as for two sows -- you feed either one about 1/8 cup per day. My two sows go through about 25 pounds, give or take a few, in a year.

Do you only order once a year or twice?

Twice -- a neighbor and I split a 25 pound bag twice a year. We'd do the 50 pound bag, but neither of us has room to store that many pellets.

I have had 7 guinea pigs and adopted an 8th this month. My 25 lbs. has lasted me 3 months. If they poop in the bowl, I toss those so I end up wasting some of it. 25 lbs for 2 guinea pigs in a year is pretty much the same as my 100 lbs for 8 in a year.

Do let us know if there is duty and whatnot on them, as I am hoping to order some but will be hard-pressed to convince my husband that it's logical to do so if there is duty.

I don't think there's supposed to be any duty owed on it. Why don't you email KMS and ask?

Because it's not something the seller has control over, it's something the customs folks and delivery companies decide. I've had two parcels from the US in the last month of things I bought - one clothing and one some stuff from ThinkGeek - and had to pay duty on both packages. Those were couriered, though, so maybe it would be different if it were sent via regular mail (though I've had to pay duty on those kinds of packages in the past, as well).

Even so, I am thinking I will e-mail and ask for a quote. I would like to try the hay and see if it's less triggering for my allergies than the Oxbow is. I know a number of people who react to the Oxbow timothy do better with KM's non-timothy hay.

I'm hoping I get my order today because I ran out of my KM pellets. I had to buy a bag of Oxbow to tide me over. Wishbone ran to the bowl when I put them in, sniffed around and turned around and walked away. I had a few bits of KM pellets left so I tossed them in the bowl and she picked those out and left the rest. They all like KM pellets but Wishbone LOVES them.

I'm hoping I get my order today because I ran out of my KM pellets. I had to buy a bag of Oxbow to tide me over. Wishbone ran to the bowl when I put them in, sniffed around and turned around and walked away. I had a few bits of KM pellets left so I tossed them in the bowl and she picked those out and left the rest. They all like KM pellets but Wishbone LOVES them.

Is this weird or what? The doorbell just rang and my order was just delivered by UPS!!!

Do let us know if there is duty and whatnot on them, as I am hoping to order some but will be hard-pressed to convince my husband that it's logical to do so if there is duty.

I will let you know as soon as they arrive. They shipped them yesterday and they will take between 6 to 10 business days to arrive. Nessa at KMs said they haven't gotten any e-mails saying there were any extra fees and they send quite a few pellets to Canada.

Hi Karalianne:

I don't think KMs ships hay across the border. If they do could you please let me know.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.