Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Read everything, still not wicking

PiggeRCute

Cavy Slave
Hi All, New to the site as well as guinea pigs. Adopted 2 girls from shelter and they are wonderful Never knew how much fun and how cute they can be. I wanted to try fleece. Did all the research, read the study and the forums. I've washed the Anti-Pill fleece about 6 times in washer-using All with Oxi clean and vinegar. And now am trying hand washing with Dawn and then Vinegar. The fleece was not wicking after 3 machine washes. so have been washing them ever since. They had wet butts the poor things so I am back to pine, which I rather not be on. When I've washed the fleece, it has been a pure fleece load. Could it be there is not enough friction to help with the wicking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
hmmm I always wash my fleece in a all fleece load also and have no problems. are you using hot water? you didn't mention so i thought u would ask. i always wash in hot even when im just pre washing new fleece. im not sure why it wont work. i cant see it being the oxy clean but i dont know. all i use is a bit of detergent which is the free and clear kind, some borax and a cup of vinegar. and there is no fabric softener or the fabric softener sheets being used? since you said you read everything im sure you didnt use any of that. but im sure people will want to know

PiggeRCute

Cavy Slave
Just got done drying the hand-washed load, placed a towel underneath and put a few drops of water. It pools the water, even after a minute the water is still on top. this is 100% polyester, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

PiggeRCute

Cavy Slave
No fabric softner, machine washed loads have been in medium wash, medium dry. Hand wash was hot wash and rinse medium dry.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Just keep washing and it will eventually work.

I have a bunch of Ikea fleece that wicked immediately, and previous purchases from Joann's gave me no problems. But my last fleece from Joann's took FOREVER to start working. It was like there was some sort of industrial-strength coating on this stuff!

I use ALL Free & Clear (no scent), vinegar added to the rinse, and I wash on sanitize (very hot). With my last new fleece, I think I was at about a dozen washes before it seemed to really start working. I encourage you not to give up!

PiggeRCute

Cavy Slave
Thank you all so much. Washing in machine on Hot, with All F&C. Will do vinegar rinse and dry on hot since I do want to sew them eventually. At least any shrinking that was going to happen has been done LOL

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
My first batch of fleece took 5 washes and drying, my second took two and I am waiting to do my third for when the uhaul pads come. I live in an apartment building with pay washers, so Its a pain.

PiggeRCute

Cavy Slave
Just finished a hot wash/dry. Not wicking. Is this wicking instantaneous? If I put a few drops of warm water on it, it will bead up. When I press my finger there, it will start to soak into the fleece. Washing again. Now I put a little free and clear and I noticed in final rinse some soap is still coming out. Could this be the barrier?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.