Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Re-introducing my girls didn't go well

iugin

Cavy Slave
Hello,i have two piggie girls.The oldest is about one year and the other is about six months old.When i brought the liitle at home i put them both in a new large cage and all seemed perfect!No arguing,just love!
The little was ill so i separated them.And now that she is all fine i try to put them in my bed together just to remember eachother..but it was a disaster..teeth chattering,nose face-offs,wide yawns and a started fight that i stop it with a blanket...:weepy::weepy:
I don't know what to do..i still have them separated and tommorow i am planning the buddy bath and a thorough cleaning to the cage..
Please give me some advise..

Read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the introductions section is about halfway down.

Unfortunately, when two pigs are separated, they have to go through the dominance drama again when they're re-introduced, and yours are now much older than when one was a baby. Since they're females, they should be fine, but do follow the instructions at the link above.

I read it carefully but i wonder what i am going to do if the bath doesn't succed..I am very anxious if they gone live together...

I had a sick sow that I had to remove from her three cage mates while recouperating. Reintroductions were slightly dramatic between all of the pigs, but they eventually settled down to their old ways. Just do introductions properly, in a neutral area, and have a completely wiped-down cage ready for them after.

How big is the cage? Did you take out all the hideys that have only one entrance?

The cage is 8 s.f. and i haven't put them together yet.I just made the first re-introduction in a nutral place.I was wondering if i should do this today also or if i do the bath..

Read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the introductions section is about halfway down.

Unfortunately, when two pigs are separated, they have to go through the dominance drama again when they're re-introduced, and yours are now much older than when one was a baby. Since they're females, they should be fine, but do follow the instructions at the link above.
does that happen too when the pigs are moved to a new cage? (same size, same hideys and toys, just a relocation)

iugin, you should do everything at one time. Introduction in neutral place, cleaned cage, buddy bath if you're giving one, then put them together in the cage. Spacing things out just stresses the pigs out and makes them start the whole dominance process over again every time.

ddewi, moving to a new cage can set off the dominance drama. It doesn't always, but it can. It's normal if it does.

If nothing else works and you have a c&c cage you could seperate the cage. Then they see each other and kind of live next to each other. My guinea pigs started out fighting so i seperated the cage and now about 3 months later they are now living together.
Hope it works out for your piggies :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.