Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Re-introducing formerly bonded boars

Kathy_D

Cavy Slave
My two boars started fighting a couple of weeks ago. It got so bad, they both ended up drawing blood. Both of them had a few bites on them so I separated them. I converted my 2x4 + 1x2 loft and 1.5x2.5 kitchen into a 2x6 split (so each has 2x3 right now). They are healing well, and Will probably be completely scabless within a week. I am still not sure what caused the fighting. They were a bonded pair when I got them a few months ago. They would cuddle together and play, but suddenly they started fighting. I do not know their exact ages, but I would guess between 8 and 12 months, so possibly one or both are going through puberty? Anyway, now that they are separated, they both spend a lot of time hanging out by the other (near or against the grids separating the paces). I have heard teeth chattering a few times when one starts munching on the other's hay through the bars, but that was only a couple of times and they like to steal each other's hay often. I would like to put them back together at some point and plan to keep the cage 2x6 and get more coro so I can put 2 1x2 lofts for their kitchens. So I have a few questions:
1) at what point should I start thinking about re-intorducing them? Should I base it on length of time, behavior, physical healing, or something else?
2) Should I follow the instructions as if I was introducing a pair who have never been together?
3) How many attempts should I make before I just leave it alone and keep them separate if things don't go well?
4) Any other suggestions for keeping them from fighting if I am successful at re-introducing them?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.