Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mounting rather stupid q

Alana Tudhope

Cavy Slave
Is it normal for 2 females to "hump" or mount each other.. just caught hope and faith doing it and it was a rather..WTF moment for both of us

Yep, very normal. It's a dominance issue -- trying to figure out who's top pig. With girls, it doesn't happen nearly as often as with boys, and usually doesn't last as long. My two sows are a little over two years old, and I haven't seen them doing that for at least a year and a half, maybe longer.

Are you positive they're both females?

Phew no need to panic then lol...there only 10 mths old so im guessing well be seein that for a bit more time to come then...

Looks like it.. there sisters apparently and been together since day 1.. so im taking from that there wouldve been a litter or 2 by now if they was sexed wrong

Did you get the girls from a petstore?

I think I'd really check them out to make sure they're both females.

No they were rescues... theyve been together for the past 10 months minimum.. here for almost a week now and this is first sign of any mounting... i will definatley be checking them out just to be 100% sure tho

Often, being in a new place is an opportunity for pigs to have new dominance issues. It should settle down soon, unless it's hormonal and not a dominance issue.

Ditto what BP said. Sometimes being in a new environment makes the dominant of the pair mount to remind the other, "Yes, I'm the boss here too"

females also may do it when they are in heat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.