Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps

jwedenrock

Cavy Slave
We recently brought home two piggies. They have been well socialized and have been great so far. Before we found this website, we purchased a store cage. However, we added on to it and made a C&C cage. I carpeted the ramp to the second floor; however, our piggies haven't used it yet. We put some veggies on the ramp to entice them up; however, the veggies have not been touched. I'm not sure if the piggies need more time to become used to their new environment or whether there is something I can do to help them get used to the ramp? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Well, I read another thread: I put both piggies on the second floor and a trail of veggies down the ramp. One of them went down in a run. The other started down and then fell off. I don't have sides on the ramp.

On one of the other threads, the person only fed veggies on the second floor. They put their piggie up there each time they put out the veggies. I think I'll try that. I'm just worried that they will hurt themselves if they fall off the ramp.

try bending to grids in half and cable tying them togehter and put the ramp against the side something like this may help https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1678&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

At first my older pig wouldnt go up the ramp so i coverd it with a towel and made it like a hidey tunnel it encouraged him to explore up the ramp and when he got up there TA-DA mountains of hay and veggies. Ive since taken the towel down and he stays on they second level pretty much all the time!

Hi, just finished building the cage. Make sure the ramp is not to steep. I also bended the grids on both sides so they cant fall off. Thanks everyone for that idea. I put their hay and food up there and put the piggies up there to show them, and now they practically live up there. Also I have hidey houses up there so they could hide if they get spooked.

Also maybe you can "coax" your pig with some fresh hay on the top floor. My guinea pig goes gaga whenever he sees me rustling the bag of hay, and runs up to the top floor.

I appreciate everyone's reply. This morning we put fresh veggies, hay and then our piggies up on the top floor. The younger of the two has already gotten down. The older one is still up there. I thought we will keep putting them both up there each morning for the next week with veggies and hay and hopefully they will figure out how to go up the ramp as well as down.

That's great! Hope the other will come down.

Well, I think they hate the ramp. The young piggie (Whiskers) has made it down th ramp twice, but refuses to go up. The older piggie (still unamed) refused to go down the ramp and we eventually put him back on the bottom level. The only thing he enjoys about the ramp is chewing on the carpet.

I think we might try to make a new ramp with sides and then see how they do. We tried to add on to our store bought cage with a C&C cage; however, most of our added running room is above the original level. I just worry that they really don't have a enought space right now.

Once we make a new ramp, I'm hoping they can enjoy all the space.

Well, Whiskers has decided he likes the ramp---it just happened...he went up and down without any problems and right in front of us. However, the other cavy is acting funny and I'm deeply concerned. He is turning his head slightly sideways. He fell over and had some trouble getting back up. It only happened once, but it completely freaked our 8 year old boy out. This cavy has refused to go near the ramps, so I'm not worried he fell off it or anything. However, his head being turned is really worrying me. It just started tonight. I'm going to see how he does overnight and then take him to the vet if he is still doing it in the morning.

It sounds like he has head tilt. This can be a sign of an ear infection. Please get him checked out by a cavy competent vet asap as he may go downhill quickly.

As for the ramp, if it is even slightly too steep in the piggies opinion, they will be scared of it and not go up and down. If there is anyway that you can make it where it isn't as steep it may help. Without pictures I don't know how long or how steep your ramp is but at first mine was too steep and I put the lower end on top of a hidey box and now they jump on top the hidey box and go up and down the ramp fine. They love running up and down it all day long.

We spoke to the emergency vet this evening. They recommended monitoring his condition and then getting him to an exotic animal vet in the morning. That is our plan for now. We have him separated from our other piggie for now.

jwedenrock said:
We spoke to the emergency vet this evening. They recommended monitoring his condition and then getting him to an exotic animal vet in the morning. That is our plan for now. We have him separated from our other piggie for now.
I hope all goes well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.