Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbit of a different color

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Tchoupitoulas is changing color. I have never had a Himi or California (or whatever he is) before so I don't know if this is normal.

The weather here has finally started to turn cold and he is shedding and I guess growing in his winter coat. As his new hair comes in it is much darker then he was. He used to have tan points. Now he has charcoal gray/black points. While his ears and nose have changed his tail is just now starting to show a spot of darker color. I assume it will change too once his shedding pattern gets to his tail.

I guess my question is whether or not this is a normal color change or not?

My other rabbit came to me in pretty awful shape and I thought he was a brown dutch until he got healthy, went through a shed and his new coat came in jet black. I'm wondering if perhaps Tchoup's improved diet is resulting in his color changing as well or if it's just a thing with himis/calis.

Solebomber

Cavy Slave
The Himayalan is a tempature sensitive color , prolonged cooler temps result in darker markings and can make the nose marking bigger too. Heat has the opposite effect. So yes that's Normal.

smartorl

Cavy Slave
Pointed rabbits often experience subtle color changes in the seasons. A portion of it could also be related to the improved conditions. I have fostered rabbits that I thought were white only to have points start to show once they shed their yucky coats. They can really fool you sometimes.

bunnydude

Cavy Slave
I've certainly heard of it happening, though my two rabbits have never actually changed colors. However, I think some of Devon's black spots have gotten bigger and changed shape since he was a baby (we took him home from the shelter when he was just three months old; he's now a year and seven months old).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.