Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Rabbit food

• Thread starter abyssinianpiggy
  • Start date

abyssinianpiggy

Cavy Slave
Is it okay for guinea pigs to eat rabbit pellets? Most people say
It's fine but I have to feed them alot of vitamin C.
I've been feeding my Gpigs rabbit food and gpig food mixed
Together. I can't return the rabbit food since it's already opened
What foods and veggies high in vitamin C are edible for Gpigs?

Nope, no rabbit food. They need to have a good quality, plain guinea pig food like oxbow. Don't feed them any rabbit food, it doesn't give them any nutrition. Look at this chart for what veggies to feed to pigs. https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/

'Most people say it's fine'? I don't think you want to take any notice of that information. It is definately not okay to feed rabbit pellets or mixes. They do not contain the adequate vitamin C, even with extra veggies they will not be any good for your pigs.
You need to buy a quality guinea pig pellet, timothy based (alfalfa based for younger guinea pigs) plain dry food.

I agree with everyone before me. Also, some tasty vitamin C rich veggies are cilantro and bell pepper.

If you go into the nutrition section of this forum, you'll also see a nutrition chart sticky near the top that I'm sure you'll find useful!

There's really not much I can do. Since I'm only 12 and my mom and especially my
Dad are big on money saving so they don't want to waste it because it's already opened.
After a big argument, they finally decided to buy a bag of guinea pig food (timothy)
To mix with the gpig food, but more rabbit food than guinea pig food.
The rabbit food bag is really big. Will my guinea pigs get sick if they keep on
eating this diet? My parents only believe the store people who say yes but not
Internet stuff. Any suggestions?

Sorry about the spacing. Can't do anything about that.

Well, it won't hurt them if you can just mix it with the good guinea pig food until it's gone. But it shouldn't be a regular occurrence. People who work at pet stores know absolutely nothing about guinea pigs, ignore what they say. Most of them barely know what a guinea pig is.

Maybe it would help your parents listen to us internet people if you told them our credentials? Some people on here own rescues, foster pigs, have had pigs their whole lives or many many years, and own many pigs. I don't know if this would help but it's defiantly worth a try. Most parents don't trust people over the internet because they can be any random person who doesn't know anything about guinea pigs or has never owned guinea pigs telling them to spend tons of money to buy different food. Rabbit food is not good to feed to guinea pigs, seeing as it is made for Rabbits it is made for their nutritional needs, guinea pigs have different needs from Rabbits.

The food doesn't have to be wasted. Can you give or sell it (at a discount) to someone with a bunny? At worst, donate it to a rescue or shelter. You'll still be out the money, but it's better than throwing it away. Also, remind your parents feeding the proper food is MUCH cheaper than vet bills for feeding the wrong food. Maybe you can do extra chores to earn the money, or offer to help a neighbor? Animal lovers are suckers for helping people out. For instance, I'd give you the money for GP food in exchange for weeding my flower bed. Good luck, and keep trying. It's the best you can do.

There are plenty of web sites from reputable place with guides on how to feed/care for guinea pigs. I will find you some...

ASPCA ASPCA | Guinea Pig Care
Vet/animal hospital (broken link removed)

Michigan Humane Society (broken link removed)
Another vet/ hospital Veterinary Hospital, Animal Boarding, Exotic Pet Care Services, Gaithersburg, MD

The ASPCA and Michigan Humane society are probably the 2 most reputable I found. Try showing them sites they cant really deny are by "professionals", see if that gets you anywhere. GL!

Do guinea pigs like bell peppers? Those are the round ones right? I've given my
Guinea pigs the green kind but they didn't seem to like it much.

They generally do, but it takes a while to introduce it to them. But, not every guinea pig likes all food.

Do guinea pigs like bell peppers?
Yes, be careful not to feed hot peppers. Sometimes the bell peppers are called sweet peppers. You can grind or cut them up finely and sprinkle them over their pellets till they get used to the taste. Cilantro is another good thing to feed them; it's usually .99 cents a bunch. Here's a pic of bell peppers:
[GuineaPigCages.com] Rabbit food

Do guinea pigs like bell peppers? Those are the round ones right? I've given my
Guinea pigs the green kind but they didn't seem to like it much.

Yes, the round green bell peppers. Not the spicy kind.

You could try dicing it very fine and layer it on the pellets. I just repeatedly introduced it until they finally started eating it.

Well,it's not that my mom dosnt trust Internet people, but that I've fed my gpigs iceberg
Lettuce a lot of times before I knew I shouldn't and they were fine. I've read that gpigs
Shouldn't eat that lettuce on Internet so yeah.

Well,it's not that my mom dosnt trust Internet people, but that I've fed my gpigs iceberg
Lettuce a lot of times before I knew I shouldn't and they were fine. I've read that gpigs
Shouldn't eat that lettuce on Internet so yeah.
I think of it this way; even if an animal (or human) is fine with something that is known to be bad for them, it only takes the one time it upsets them to cause an issue or even death.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.