Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethargy Quiet, listless guinea pig after successful(?) bonding w/another male this afternoon

pinkbegonia

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. I am a volunteer foster "parent" for a local animal shelter and was tasked by them to take two male adult guinea pigs home and try to bond them(if possible). After setting them side-by-side in separate cages for over a week so they could get used to each other, today I decided to do the buddy bath, which went reasonably well. I went to the next step of putting them on the floor together with lots of toys, hidey-houses, etc., which after lots of rumbling, mounting and purring, also went pretty well. No teeth chattering, etc. After nearly an hour of floor time together without any negative incidents, I put them in a (cleaned with vinegar, freshly washed bowls, houses, etc.) large C&C cage. All has seemed ok between the two of them.

The problem is the apparently-less dominant male, R., has been in a hidey-house for hours. He's been dozing or sleeping and I haven't seen him emerge even though I've been watching them pretty closely all afternoon/evening/night. I. is eating happily and behaving normally and has bugged R. 2-3 times (briefly chasing him out of his hidey-house, although allowing him back in after a moment). I lifted the house a little while ago to make sure he's pooed (he has) but I haven't seen him eat, though there is plenty of hay all over the cage and two pellet bowls and some scattered parsley earlier. The strange thing is he didn't run away or struggle when I lifted the house like he has before; he just sat there and stared at me.

Is this normal behavior or should I be concerned? I consider myself pretty experienced with guinea pigs - I have had guinea pigs off and on for years, both as pets and as foster-pigs - so of course when I see this listless behavior I immediately think "URI" (there's been no coughing or sneezing from R.) but I have never bonded two adult males so perhaps this is normal, submissive behaviour? Or is he in shock from the day's events? I'm just a little worried about him. I feel like it would be counter productive to separate them again but I don't want this guy to be in shock. I've reported this to the shelter via email but to be honest I think guinea owners on here are probably more experienced with cavies than my contact is there, from what I can tell.

Last edited:
Keep an eye out for him he may just need some sleep from being all uptight, one of my boys got like that when I first tried to bond him because he just wouldn't sleep with the more dominant pig in the same cage as him. He ended up settling down after a day or so after I let him have a long nap on my lap, but still keep an eye out for any other symptoms that may indicate it is anything other than lack of sleep and stress.

Hi everyone. I am a volunteer foster "parent" for a local animal shelter and was tasked by them to take two male adult guinea pigs home and try to bond them(if possible). After setting them side-by-side in separate cages for over a week so they could get used to each other, today I decided to do the buddy bath, which went reasonably well. I went to the next step of putting them on the floor together with lots of toys, hidey-houses, etc., which after lots of rumbling, mounting and purring, also went pretty well. No teeth chattering, etc. After nearly an hour of floor time together without any negative incidents, I put them in a (cleaned with vinegar, freshly washed bowls, houses, etc.) large C&C cage. All has seemed ok between the two of them.

The problem is the apparently-less dominant male, R., has been in a hidey-house for hours. He's been dozing or sleeping and I haven't seen him emerge even though I've been watching them pretty closely all afternoon/evening/night. I. is eating happily and behaving normally and has bugged R. 2-3 times (briefly chasing him out of his hidey-house, although allowing him back in after a moment). I lifted the house a little while ago to make sure he's pooed (he has) but I haven't seen him eat, though there is plenty of hay all over the cage and two pellet bowls and some scattered parsley earlier. The strange thing is he didn't run away or struggle when I lifted the house like he has before; he just sat there and stared at me.

Is this normal behavior or should I be concerned? I consider myself pretty experienced with guinea pigs - I have had guinea pigs off and on for years, both as pets and as foster-pigs - so of course when I see this listless behavior I immediately think "URI" (there's been no coughing or sneezing from R.) but I have never bonded two adult males so perhaps this is normal, submissive behaviour? Or is he in shock from the day's events? I'm just a little worried about him. I feel like it would be counter productive to separate them again but I don't want this guy to be in shock. I've reported this to the shelter via email but to be honest I think guinea owners on here are probably more experienced with cavies than my contact is there, from what I can tell.

Just be sure to monitor if he is eating especially if you do not see any other signs of a URI. Put fresh veggies under his hidey hut with him or a treat and see if eats it. Might need to boost his Vit C intake to help relieve his stress...Good luck! Your a special person for being a foster piggy!

As well as the veggies, you should put some hay in his hidey hut. I have girl guinea pigs, so I don't know a lot about male behaviour. However, having experienced bloat with Crackle, I know the importance of piggies constantly eating hay. At times when my piggies weren't as interested in their hay, I've placed it on the floor in front of them or made a "hay cup" out of a brown lunch bag that I've cut and folded over to form a bowl shape. You just have to make sure the bag is brown paper, and that your piggy doesn't eat much of it. Anyways, these are just a couple of ways of getting your piggy interested in his hay.

All the best!

Does the hiding house have two exits? If not the pig could feel trapped inside the hiding house by the more dominate one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.