Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Quiet guinea pig has become VERY vocal suddenly...?

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
Gigabyte (2yrs old, male) just recovered from gastric stasis and scurvy and has been eating like a champ. In fact, he can finish off a bag of hay in about 4-7 days (yikes!).
He used to be very quiet and not so bold. But since we've moved and allowed him free run of the basement for a few hours a day because of the severe lack of cage space, he has changed.
He follows me around wheeking at the TOP of his lungs, his little ears bounce like it hurts. I often think he's just hungry, but he picks up at it again. Every time I walk past him, he starts up again. He'll do this even at 2AM.

What's the deal? He's pretty bold, too. He runs about 20ft from his cage to the "restricted zone" of the computer and I have to shoo him back.

Any ways to remedy this behavior? He's driving his mommy nuts!

Can't you just block off the area you don't want him in? Better still would be to find a way to make him a larger cage so he'll be in it and safe there.

As for the noise, some pigs are more vocal than others, it's not really anything to remedy. Though I think it might really help if he had a piggy friend to share his days with, if he's an only pig.

I'm very poor. Like change in the wallet to buy food poor. He is VERY well supervised.
Gigabyte was put with a male once and they HATED each other and fought, so now he's an only pig. I don't think I can afford another pig...

Fair enough, it's wise to not get another animal if you can't afford it. As for living with another male he didn't like, sometimes pigs just don't like each other. That doesn't mean he couldn't live with another male.

But if you're not able to afford this pig, a larger cage, etc., are you able to afford vet bills if he needs to see one?

Yes, I have care credit. I am getting donations right now from many nice people, the other day, so far, $121 bucks were donated to Gigabyte! My boyfriend makes a good wage selling technology and fixing PCs, and soon he will be doing a job as a process server ($20/an hour!). I am getting back into dog grooming as a job until we can move.
Soon I'll be in vet tech school as well, and they provide a nice stipend and housing assistance. Things will be okay. I am trying to buy some coroplast, I have cubes already.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.