Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Quiet and solitary

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
Hello! I'm new to guinea pig slavery and new to this forum. I adopted 3 piggies yesterday (2 female, 1 neutered male) and they are about 1 year old, give or take a few months. I'm assuming they've already bonded (to a degree, anyway) since the rescue I adopted them from had them all in the same cage. They're healthy, appetites are great, energy is good, poops are firm and dark.

So I've noticed my piggies don't really snuggle or play with each other. They find a hut and chill alone most of the time. There's no fighting or aggression... but there's a definite lack of play and noise that I was kind of expecting. Is there anything I can do to encourage them to run around and play with each other more? Or do I just need to give them time to get used to their new home since I only adopted them yesterday?

I read somewhere that removing the houses during the day can encourage them to play with each other, but I feel like not having a hiding place would stress them out more than anything. Thoughts? :/

Thanks in advance :]

Last edited:

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
They do need time to settle in, yes. Most piggies take a while to become comfortable enough to start playing and popcorning, you just need to give them time to settle. Patience is key with new pigs! What houses are you using? If you use something large with multiple entrances like a step stool, they may be more inclined to snuggle. However some pigs just aren't snugglers, and that's perfectly normal.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
They need time to understand that they are not going to be eaten by the "house eagle". I would never take out their hiding place. This is a source of security for them. They are a shy creature and fear is something they have very much of. Just give them time. They must be terrified and will be for some days. But they are precious and in time will show each personality.

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
Their houses are just hidey huts. I might try a step stool to see if they like that better. Thanks!