Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Quick question.

BlueButterfly

Cavy Slave
Well, I've got the cubes and the coroplast, and the fleece, and by this time tomorrow, the piggies will have a new cage!
It's my first time using fleece, and I JUST got my new fleece today. I have a quick question, I know you're supposed to wash and dry the fleece at least three times before using, but it seems like a bit of a waste just to wash the fleece by itself. Could I maybe wash it with some other things, like towels I was going to use for under bedding, or the girls soiled bed. And also, I read that some people like to use vinegar instead of detergent the first time around, would it work if I did detergent and a little vinegar?
Thanks in advance!

Yes, it is OK to wash it with other things as well. Although, my Piggies have so much stuff in their cage, I can do a whole Piggy-only load. :D

I have never heard of using Vinegar, but I don't see why it would hurt. I would just use detergent, and baking soda the first time around to suck up any foreign scents and to disinfect.

;)

I think vinegar may help loosen up gunk that would prevent it from wicking, as well as help rinse away any left-over detergent. I always use it in my rinse cycle. I'd use both detergent and vinegar. There's some substances that are not water soluble, which the detergent has to get rid of. I'm not sure what the manufacturing "coating" is composed of, but I feel it's better safe than sorry.

You can wash it with other things (like the towels) just make sure you follow loading instructions for your model washer. It will be sure to say "leave 'x' inches of room on top". An overloaded washer does not get clothes and clean, and leaves more detergent residue behind.

Also, use hot water. :p

Vinegar acts as a natural fabic softener and disenfectant. I use it as I would a liquid fabric softener for all my laundry. The clothes/fleece will have a slight vinegar smell when it comes out of the wash but will disappear when it's dry. I also use a vinegar and water mix to clean the coroplast and any hard surfaced toys (I actually use it to clean everything in my house as my son has allergies to commercial cleaning supplies). Vinegar is amazing!

Yes, it is OK to wash it with other things as well. Although, my Piggies have so much stuff in their cage, I can do a whole Piggy-only load. :D

I have never heard of using Vinegar, but I don't see why it would hurt. I would just use detergent, and baking soda the first time around to suck up any foreign scents and to disinfect.

;)

Vinegar works to clean the urine deposits... Baking soda is great for cleaning too! Just don't put them in the washer together!! You will have a HUGE mess....

I'm sure some of you know this but I wanted to make sure and post it for the ones who don't.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.