Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Quick question concerning pigs eating their droppings?

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
I always knew they were supposed to eat specific droppings to stay healthy, but it was only recently I learned they are different in the way they look too. Straight from guinealynx:

DROPPINGS
NORMAL:
Droppings should be uniform and oval, medium to dark brown. Aromatic greenish droppings may be caecal pellets, which the guinea pig re-ingests (necessary for good nutrition).

I was wondering, if the pigs are supposed to know between the two before they grab it? One of my pigs often grabs her regular poo, then drops it on the cage floor. It's quite disgusting now that I know that is regular poo and not the ceacal ones... Is this normal for them to do? If not, why would she do it...?

That's a good question. Wish I knew the answer. I've never seen my two take anything except the cecal poops, nor have I seen them drop one.

I wondered the same thing because I see half eaten pieces of the normal pellets in the cage. I asked my vet on Monday and she said this was normal. Maybe they are sampling the other piggy's poo??? I really have no idea. I remember my dog only ate her poops when they were frozen. We would sit in our hot tub and hear her munching on her poopsicles. It was pretty gross.

This thread gave me a much needed laugh. I never knew there was a difference! And how amazing it is that these little guys are smart enough to know that! Animals never cease to amaze me.

Well, she's banned from kisses until further notice. That's for sure! lol

both my guinea pigs eat their poop when they're sitting on my lap, the normal kind and the cecal kind. I thought that was normal?

Eimear, eating both kinds is normal, although they usually eat more of the cecal ones. What I've never seen is the half-eaten poops dropping on the floor.

Funny you mention this! My husband wish petting Andromeda two nights afo and she was eating her cecal poops on his lap and he got grossed out. Poor guy forgot to tell him about that!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.