Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quick question about rabbits kept outdoors

muffin

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I just need to check I am giving the correct information in an article I am writing: am I right in thinking that rabbits are like guinea pigs in that they are just as vulnerable to illness through drafts and fluctuations in temperature when kept outdoors? (I'm trying to convince people to keep their animals inside).

Thanks in advance.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Yes, rabbits are every bit as vulnerable as GPs when kept outdoors. They actually have one more danger as well.

Rabbits thump their back legs when startled or frightened. There is more that is likely to scare a rabbit when it is outside. On a hard hutch floor, be it wood or wire, a rabbit can break it's back when it thumps.

For more info check out this site Http://rabbit.org specifically this page (broken link removed)

naturestee

Cavy Slave
Not to mention that if the rabbit is outdoors, the owner is less likely to notice the onset of medical problems such as GI stasis, diarrhea/cecal problems (which can also lead to fly strike), urinary issues, etc. Especially with GI stasis, the early it is treated the more likely it is that the rabbit will survive.

I've never heard of a rabbit breaking it's leg by thumping before, but I do know of one that got a concussion when an oppossum scared him, and I've heard horror stories about what happens when a neighbor's dog gets loose.:sad: Or worse, the neighbors kids!>(

I don't know how guinea pigs are with heat, but rabbits have trouble dealing with temps much above 80F. 90F has been known to cause heat stress/stroke. They're meant to be underground in their burrows during the hot day.

Solebomber

Cavy Slave
I have a 3 year old Netherland Dwarf buck with a Steel pin in his leg. only thing that could explain his breaking his leg was thumping his back feet. So yes breaking legs and backs can happen when startled - indoors or outside.

muffin

Cavy Slave
Thankyou everyone. Just wanted to make sure my facts were correct. I didn't know that rabbits could break their legs thumping either. I'm glad you mentioned a website VoodoJoint, because I wasn't as sure which were good rabbit websites other than by using my own judgement. Thankyou all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.