Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Quick question about introducing boars....

nicholelynne

Cavy Slave
I have read and re-read all I can find on introducing boars, and I had a quick question. I understand how to introduce them in a neutral territory, and what to watch out for, but I was wondering, (and maybe Im being dense here), do you just do this once, and once they are getting along in the neutral area, you plop them into the cleaned cage together? Or are you supposed to do this multiple times? (I ask because some people call this the 'dating game', and that would imply more than one 'date')

Also, would it help to place their cages near each other for a week or something, so they get used to each other's scents, before introducing? Or maybe putting a divider in their cage for a while? Or is it better to just go for it and introduce them without any of that?

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I really want to do this right, and have the best chance of succeeding. lol Also, any tips you may have would be appreciated! :p

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Put them together once, and then leave them together unless one gets bitten or is being harassed to the point that it can't eat. I personally wouldn't put them next to each other beforehand.

Have you read Guinea Pigs Social Life The Introductions section is about halfway down.

nicholelynne

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks a lot! Yep, Ive read that article several times, its a good one. I was just a little confused, because people kept calling it 'the dating game', and someone else from a shelter told me, 'introductions take a lot of time, if done correctly', so I was just wondering if there was more to it than that.

On a similar note, do they tend to stink it up for the first few days together? I ask because my hubby isnt really an animal person, and while he doesnt mind our piggy, cause he doesnt stink, I think he might get a little upset if the whole house stunk or something... Should I wait on getting a friend until he goes out of town or something? :guilty:

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Yes. The first time boars meet they can be stinky. I introduced my two guys in my husband's office and they stunk him out of the office. It was a very powerful smell. A little fabreeze and having the window open and the stank was gone by the next morning.

You could warn him a head of time, that they might stink for a few days but they will not after that. It's just sent marking and nothing more.

nicholelynne

Cavy Slave
Phew, thats a big relief! Thanks!! Ill find a way to deal with the stink for a few days, but Im glad it wont stay stinky. :D They are by a window, so I can open it and try and keep it aired out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.