Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quick intro ... aka "Coming out of lurkdom"

akgoaliemom

Cavy Slave
A hearty thanks to this forum and website. You all, along with guinealynx.com have been an invaluable source of information for me for the past 12 months. My daughter and I have been scoping out GP's for quite some time and finally felt comfortable with our limited knowledge to venture into the land of ownership.

We now own 2 boys, purchased 3 weeks ago from our local petstore. (No audible gasps, please. We have a WONDERFUL pet store here in my town - they take great care of their animals and diligently separate the sexes of their rats/hamsters/rabbits/gerbils/guinea pigs to prevent unknown/unneeded pregnancies. I have never seen a cage lacking for litter, housing, feed, water, or appropriate toys.) Fuzz is an abyssinian, standard light brown with a white spot on his forehead and a white rump. He came from a local breeder. Gus is a black/brown tortoiseshell looking thing that came from an irresponsible family that didn't sex their pigs, allowed them to breed, and didn't know what to do with the 3 by-products of their lack of knowledge (they also dropped off Dad).

They boys live in a 2x3 C&C (28"x42") with a 1x2 loft. They will receive new digs in the fall with a 2x4 that has 2 1x2 lofts. I don't have the time this summer and they're still quite small.

I don't know how to age them ... so I called the breeder and am waiting for a return call on Fuzz. I figure Gus will be close to the same age as they're about the same size.

I also haven't weighed them yet (and when you see my next post, you can give me the audible !gasp!), but will pull out my postage meter and get it done. It measures to the tenth of an ounce and seems to be pretty accurate, so we'll give it a shot.

Guess those are the basics. These guys are the 2 newest in my mini-zoo and even my husband, who doesn't understand my need for "pointless" animals, enjoys them. They join 1 dog, 4 cats, 1 hamster, 1 betta, 11 chickens and 3 kids.

Thanks go to all of you posters on this forum - I've learned quite a bit from you!

Zeander

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the boards. Glad you did some research first! :) I'm sure we'd all love to see some "pigtures" if you could.

"These guys are the 2 newest in my mini-zoo and even my husband, who doesn't understand my need for "pointless" animals, enjoys them." I had to giggle at that because your husband sounds just like my fiance. He was like "why guinea pigs, what so special about them" blah blah blah. But now, he has his own pigger (my pigger's buddy) and really enjoys feeding and petting them.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Glad your boys are doing well! Fuzz acctually looks like a peruvian too me, since he has a tag in his ear I would assume he is purebred, and his hair is already to long to be a abby. (Peruvians have rossestes as well)

akgoaliemom

Cavy Slave
slap_maxwell said:
Welcome!

Fuzz acctually looks like a peruvian too me, since he has a tag in his ear I would assume he is purebred, and his hair is already to long to be a abby. (Peruvians have rossestes as well)

Thanks for the info! I have a couple of "beginner" books and the pictures that they show of abby's range from short-hair to long-hair, so I assumed that's what he was (particularly since the whorls and colorings matched, also.) That whole "ASSUME" thing got me again...

KatieJean

Cavy Slave
Hey, cool! another person from alaska! there's barely any of us on these chat boards. good to meet you :)

Your pigs are sooooo cute, which pet store did you get them from?

akgoaliemom

Cavy Slave
KatieJean said:
Your pigs are sooooo cute, which pet store did you get them from?

From PetZoo here in Wasilla, but Fuzz originally came from one of the breeders.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.