Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Quick bath question

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
I have 2 little (only 6 weeks old) boys who could use a bath. It's a long story, let's just say I failed in my attempt at our first floor time and of course they huddled just off of the towel/fleece that I had put down for them and proceeded to pee all over themselves. FUN! I have some wipes and waterless shampoo on order but I am wondering if I can use Ferret shampoo...? I just happen to have some from a trade show I was at a few months ago. Honestly, I doubt I'll wash them anytime soon since I feel they are too young but just wondering. Thanks! :)

It is best to use a shampoo made especially for guinea pigs! You can find it at any pet store. You can also just give the boys bum baths and dry them off well.

Ferret shampoo should be okay. You can also use non-medicated kitten or puppy shampoo.

Don't use waterless bath and wipes on them. Those will leave chemical residues on them and they will ingest while grooming themselves.

Oh really? The waterless shampoo is designed specifically for small animals, safe for hamsters but not piggies...? Hmmm. (broken link removed)

Oh really? The waterless shampoo is designed specifically for small animals, safe for hamsters but not piggies...? Hmmm. (broken link removed)

Not all pet products are safe or appropriate to use. Just like pet store treats.

@ lissie...true true. Bummed I wasted my money :sad:

Don't feel bad. I made the same mistake. Still have a full unused bottle of the waterless shampoo sitting under the cage.

(broken link removed) have anything and everything you could want for washing your piggies.

Most small pet shampoos are designed to leave some sort of softening agent on the hair, unlike baby shampoo or the shampoos with flea medication in them.

Kitten shampoo is very cheap and is readily available -- I'd take that over baby shampoo any day.

And I would rinse very well. Even if the shampoo doesn't make much suds, it still has chemicals in it that are left on the hair, and the pig may ingest them when grooming. I guess it's not such an issue with babies if it doesn't affect their skin, but they're not licking themselves all the time.

Eleanor had her first bath yesterday. (She hated it :eek:hmy: but we did our best to make her comfortable.) She's about 6 months and I wanted her to look perfect to meet her grandparents over Christmas break. Here's a pic of her drying off.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Quick bath question

Eleanor is adorable! And I love her name :)

We bought Super Pet Squeaky Clean shampoo. It works really good. My two little girls have gotten a bath every week. They are really messy with themselves. They even seem to start to like it. It is really good shampoo and really reasonably priced. We got it at PetSmart

Ally, they really don't need to be bathed every week. Even with Squeaky Clean shampoo and rinsing them very well, their skin can get dried out and itchy. If they've got long hair around their butts, you can trim that to floor length so it doesn't get so yucky, and also just wipe their butts with a damp cloth to keep them cleaner. They may sometimes need a butt bath but not need bathing all over.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.