Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Questions, seeking thoughts and opinions on different aspects of fleece

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Okay, going to be getting the supplies here real soon. Just waiting on the deposit check from Progress Energy (yay for paying bills on time!).

So heres what I was going to do. Get maybe 3 patterns of fleece(later on I'll probably end up getting more xD). 3 yards each(2X4 with 1X2 loft) or would 2 yards be enough? I want to create a fleece forest/possibly will be covering his ramp.

Layering:
Iam going with 2 uhual pads(found a picture to really show how thin it is)
Under each hidy/upstairs will be these: Walmart.com: Mainstays 18pk Washcloth Bundle, White: Bath
2 under each hidy/upstairs(maybe 3)
And I would change them out either every morning or every Tuesday, Thursday/Saturday.

Everything will be changed out weekly.

So opinions, comments, concerns?
Thanks!

Are you going to go up and over the sides or just mats??

Are you going to go up and over the sides or just mats??

I think I'll just be putting the fleece up and over the sides. Everything else will stay in the "pan". Whistles doesn't spray. And I've spot cleaned enough to know he pees most where he eats and sleeps.
He really doesn't pee anywhere else.

I just realized I didn't say exactly how the layering was or added I the fleece xD

Oh well. Here to clear it up: (from the bottom up)
2 uhual pads
2-3 of the towels linked above
1 layer of fleece going over the sides. Or should it be 2?

Lastly, I'm going with anti pill fleece.

Last edited:
So like mine.. You might need a little more fleece.. How tall are your sides?

So like mine.. You might need a little more fleece.. How tall are your sides?

A tad uneven xD
5" on the right
And 4" everywhere else

I wasn't prepared when they told me they wouldn't roll the coroplast xP

You shouldn't need towels.. That's what the uhaul pads are for :) I found this the best way to do them.. [GuineaPigCages.com] Questions, seeking thoughts and opinions on different aspects of fleece then sew your corners up to fit :) just double the measurements.. So you have 5" sides cut 10 inch strips and add seam allowances :) I don't sew my uhaul pads to my fleece. Just two layers of pads together.. Seems to work really well for washing and drying and my sewing machine doesn't hate me..

So....for a full week I can use just the fleece and uhual pads? My husband thinks it'll stink.
Should it be 1 or 2 layers of fleece?
Should I purchase 2 or 3 yards?

So....for a full week I can use just the fleece and uhual pads? My husband thinks it'll stink.
Should it be 1 or 2 layers of fleece?
Should I purchase 2 or 3 yards?

I made mats for high pee areas and replace them with clean ones every 2-3 days.. I would get at least 3 .. If not 4.. Then you can make pads too

Its just whistles. Maybe if I finally convince hubby it'll be two
No air purifier
His upstairs is his kitchen. 90% of his pee is up there. The other 10% is in his hidys.

I maybe just getting the towels. Start off with those. And go from there.

So.....should I do 2 layers of fleece or 1?

One layer of fleece is better than two. If you use two layers, it will be harder for liquid to drain through to the absorbent layers underneath.

Recent Fleece Purchases

I'm trying to calculate how much we'll be spending on Whistles' new bedding. So far it comes to $80-90. That includes 2 uhual pads, an 18pk of small towels and 2 patterns of fleece(3yrds).

Where have you bought your fleece? How much per yard?

Re: Recent Fleece Purchases

My loose fleece before I switched to liners was around 9 USD per yard at Joann's. It was on sale, though.

My loose fleece before I switched to liners was around 9 USD per yard at Joann's. It was on sale, though.

Do you know if the online price is the same as in store?
Some of their prints are priced at 6.49 a yrd when their original price is 12. And their solids are at 9.99

I just went to walmart for fleece and was not at all happy. I bought three yards of red and went home. After I washed it for the first time, it was falling apart on me. Fuzz was coming off and there were holes in it.

I go to Joanns to buy most of my fabric. They have fleece sales about once a month for I can get fleece for around $4-$5 a yard. It is hight quality and last for a very very long time!!

I'd go with Joann, not walmart

ok. Joann is haveing a 50% off sale right now. you can get higher quality solid color fleece for $4.

(broken link removed)

Or you can get pattern fleece for $5.

(broken link removed)

I love Joaan fleece!

I just bought Fleece from jo-ann's and I got 4 different patterns and it was only $55 USD. Wasn't that bad. Three of out of four of my pattern ones were only $6.49 USD. But if I include the 2 U-haul pads I also bought, It came out to be a little more than $72 USD

I know their having the sale.
Issue is, I more than likely won't be able to purchase the fleece this weekend. MAYBE next week. Hopefully next weekend.

Did you get the anti pill fleece I linked?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.