Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool Questions: Preparing for heat wave

jm_1234

Cavy Slave
We are heading into a heatwave where I live and I do not have air conditioning. My house stays pretty cool for a few days but this one is expected to last atleast all next week so the house is going to get hot. I am a little worried about my guinea pigs since I don't have air conditioning. I know there is tricks like frozen water bottles, fans, etc. but I'm not to sure if it will be enough.

I was thinking about moving all 8 guinea pigs into my unfinished basement for the week since it stays really cool down there. I am going to set up a 2X6 for my 4 girls, 2x6 for the two boys, and the playpen I used to use for floortime for my other boy & spayed female. Does this sound ok? I also would not have lids on these cages since I am using the grids from there pen I use for outside time and I do not have enough. I am stressing right now as I don't want anything to happen to my piggies. Is there anything I need to worry about regarding moving them down into the basement. *This is not permanent, this is just to get through the hot weather, they will be back in there normal cages once it cools off a bit*

Thanks so much, any suggestions welcome :)

Yay another Edmonton Member! I've been preparing myself. I have water bottles in the fridge and will be picking up some granite stone like this one tomorrow: Small Pet Beds & Bedding: Super Pet Chin-Chiller

I'll be checking Rona and Home depot for the granite stone. I have two bottles freezing per pig. I do have an AC but it sucks and keeps the house at about 24C when its 30+ out side. Still better than 30+ inside but still.

With the granite stone, I plan on keeping them in the fridge to cool them. I hope to find 6 so I can have two per pig.

Make sure they get lots of water, and worse case, let them walk around in the bath tub with about an inch or so of cool (not cold) water. This will help cool them down. Keep a thermometer where they are to monitor the temperature.

I for one am not looking forward to this heat wave but whatcha going to do right. Good Luck :D

We lost power for three days after a huge storm. Our power came on last night. It's been near 100 every day. I moved my pigs to my finished sub basement which has a ceramic tile floor. My coroplast cages are too big to move so I put them in store bought cages I use for quarantining. I switched from fleece to regular bedding to keep the smaller cages tidier. It was 88 in our upper level but felt much cooler downstairs, plus the cool floor kept them comfortable.

Thats a really good idea with the granite stone. I also have my waterbottles freezing right now. Its hard to believe how hot its going to get considering how cold and rainy it is today. I contemplated turning on my furnace this morning lol. Thanks, good luck and keep cool to you as well :)

Thanks.

We have our house set so if it goes below 19 inside the house our furnace kicks in, which it did last night :eek:hmy:. We are heading to my in laws this weekend so the kids can have fun in the pool. They only live 15 mins away so I can come and check on the pigs as needed.

We lost power for three days after a huge storm. Our power came on last night. It's been near 100 every day. I moved my pigs to my finished sub basement which has a ceramic tile floor. My coroplast cages are too big to move so I put them in store bought cages I use for quarantining. I switched from fleece to regular bedding to keep the smaller cages tidier. It was 88 in our upper level but felt much cooler downstairs, plus the cool floor kept them comfortable.

Yuck thats hot. We go by celcius but I think it work out to about 90 degrees is what is expected for us. My basement is really cool and stays cool so I think I might just do that too. I only have cement for a floor but I will still put fleece and towels down. My guinea pigs are jumpers so my only stress is them getting out since there will be no lid on there cage and there normally is one. I am going to put the boys on one side of the basement and the girls way on the opposite side so the boys are not tempted to get out and check on them all the time!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.