Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

questions on pregnant piggie

NewGPMom

Cavy Slave
I have some questions I am hoping someone can answer for me. I got a piggie before I knew about this forum or rescues and she was appearantly pregnant when we got her.

We have had her now for 58 days so from what I have read I assume that she should be delivering anytime from this week to next week. Over the last 4 days or so she appears to be having difficulty putting any weight on one of her back legs after laying for awhile. I was wondering if it could have anything to do with the way the baby is laying, maybe on a nerve or something that is causing pain or numbness. Sort of like we humans when we might refer to our foot falling asleep from sitting on it. She doesn't do this all the time, just occasionally.

Also, it seems that over the last couple of days, the babies seem to be moving but less than before. Could it be lack of space or is this just something they naturally do before birth or could it be a more serious problem that needs watched very closely. We are trying not to hold her much right now so that we don't hurt her or the babies. She is huge and very cumbersome at the moment. I am also very nervous and don't want to transfer any of that negative energy to her so I choose not to handle much.

Slap, I know you seem to have alot of excellent advice and I have already gotten so much from reading many of your posts. Think you might have any for these situations? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated from anyone with experience in birthing.

Thanks

I am not terribly experienced in birthing, but I do know this: https://guinealynx.com/breeding.html has lots of info. Just scroll down to the labor part. Have you checked the foot for maybe peices of hay or something that could be causing her pain? Are her nails trimmed? She will loose her appitite a few days prior to it. See if you can get some Critical Care from your vet just in case the babies moving less comes out problamatic. How old is mum?

Thanks, I think I have read that info 10 times and am still in knots. I am just hoping all goes well.

I checked her again tonight before going to bed (nightowl) and as before there is nothing visible to cause pain. Her nails were just trimmed over the weekend and also about 3 weeks prior. I will certainly keep an eye on it and if I see it again tomorrow, I will call the vet. I will also ask about getting some critical care. I wonder how much she should way, she is 2lb 2oz now. They told us when we got her she was about 4 months old. The other one is 1lb 6oz. There isn't much difference in weight with babies.

Had I known about this site prior and know about rescues, I would have went that avenue first. All in all, we have been lucky. We got what they said were sisters and no problems at all.

Thanks again slap.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.