Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Questions on Bonding

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
Hello! If all goes according to plan, I will be hopefully getting a new male friend for my pig Ralphie in a couple of months. He's in a 2x3 C&C right now, but I would be upgrading to a 2x5 C&C when I get him a friend. Of course, my room which I keep the cage in is very small as it is, so I would have to get rid of my large dresser, but I am willing to do it if it means a happier pig! Anyways, I have a few questions regarding bonding/quarantine:

- Let's say that the piggie I'd like to rescue has been at the shelter for a while, 1 month+, without any signs of illness. How long do I have to quarantine?
- Would it be a good idea (if my shelter permits it, I'm not sure yet), to take my current pig to interact at the shelter with the new pig before adopting him?
- How many times would I have to introduce them in neutral territory before putting them in the same cage together?
- Would it be better to get a younger or older boar? Ralphie is approximately 6 months.

Thanks in advance!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've always taken my pig to the place to see if they get along. I am not sure if a shelter would allow it. Typically shelters are pretty large, understaffed and don't usually have the space to do a neutral introduction.(atleast the ones in my area are like this). I would just ask them to be sure.

With a shelter....I would quarantine the pig. I feel like more "stuff" would be flying around in that kind of environment. But that's just me.

They get introed at your home once and only once. Put them on clean towels, have a big pile of food in the center, 2 water bottles and let them have fun while you change up the cage and maybe even for a few hours. My trio spent the entire afternoon and evening in the pin together. But I also had a sprained ankle and was taking my sweet time changing the cage.

Age sometimes factors in, but what is best is to get a pig that best suits your current pig. Let him pick who he likes. Since he is a lone pig, you don't have any idea on wither or not he is dominate do you? If the shelter knows who is submissive, I would automatically go for the more submissive ones.

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
I've always taken my pig to the place to see if they get along. I am not sure if a shelter would allow it. Typically shelters are pretty large, understaffed and don't usually have the space to do a neutral introduction.(atleast the ones in my area are like this). I would just ask them to be sure.

With a shelter....I would quarantine the pig. I feel like more "stuff" would be flying around in that kind of environment. But that's just me.

They get introed at your home once and only once. Put them on clean towels, have a big pile of food in the center, 2 water bottles and let them have fun while you change up the cage and maybe even for a few hours. My trio spent the entire afternoon and evening in the pin together. But I also had a sprained ankle and was taking my sweet time changing the cage.

Age sometimes factors in, but what is best is to get a pig that best suits your current pig. Let him pick who he likes. Since he is a lone pig, you don't have any idea on wither or not he is dominate do you? If the shelter knows who is submissive, I would automatically go for the more submissive ones.

Okay, thank you :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.