Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Questions about liners and fleece

alyssa.doherty

Cavy Slave
I'm sure these have been asked a million times, but I'm new here, and generally new to guinea pigs.

I currently use fleece bedding because it's so much easier to clean! My only problem I'm having is what I use for a liner. I use towels under the fleece and it starts to smell pretty quickly. I go through towels like crazy.

What's the best liner? I've heard zorb works okay but I'd have to sew it so it doesnt get destroyed in the wash. Puppy pads can get pricey, too and I changed to fleece in the first place to save money.

I don't have a lot of "spending money" to just throw around. I'm looking for something that absorbs better and will stay smell-free longer than towels.
I currently have a 2x4 c&c cage if that helps.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

pinky

Cavy Slave
uhaul 100% recycled denim cotton pads are the cheapest liners that are very absorbent.

alyssa.doherty

Cavy Slave

betty

Cavy Slave
I use uhaul pads too. I've sewed it to my fleece. One pad costs about $8 and can make 2 liners for a 4x2 cage.

Senamian

Cavy Slave
I wonder.... could you actually use the liners/pads that are made for dogs? I know how bad towels begin to smell LOL!! I used to just put layers of fleece ontop of newspaper.

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
How many layers of towels do you use? I use two layers of towels (thick towels), and I can go 1 week before I have to change the bedding. I also use a litter box with carefresh under their hay racks so a lot of the urine output goes there and it keeps the hay off of the fleece. I also vacuum up droppings once in the morning and once before bed. I have 3 boars in a 3x4 C&C, and since I switched to fleece I haven't had to deal with piggy odors at all.

xaniandra

Cavy Slave
i use liners for baby matresses, if it can save a matress from a baby's mes it can soak up pigs urine too :) i dont know the exact word for it(due to english not being my maternal tongue) its not plastic. just reinforced material quilted andit makes for a very compfy bedding

Senamian

Cavy Slave
Interesting!! I have to look around here. Since I am converting my spare room I don't have enough fleece to line the whole room hehe!! and don't want to use towels either... because they smell. xD

alyssa.doherty

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! I've got a lot to choose from, lol. Also, do any of you buy your fleece online? We only have one store around where I live that sells fabric and I think they're getting sick of me.

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! I've got a lot to choose from, lol. Also, do any of you buy your fleece online? We only have one store around where I live that sells fabric and I think they're getting sick of me.

LOL! I think my coroplast guy is getting sick of me lol

Senamian

Cavy Slave
You can get some off ebay for a decent price... if you watch the prices, bids, etc, you can get great deals on it. I also, instead of buying fabric find the nice soft fleecey blankets and make them into whatever I need them to be...blankets, bedding, tunnels, pillows... lol

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Joann's Fabrics sells on line, and usually has coupons. Right now, all the fleece is 40% to 50% off, and there was a coupon recently for free shipping...

alyssa.doherty

Cavy Slave
Joann's Fabrics sells on line, and usually has coupons. Right now, all the fleece is 40% to 50% off, and there was a coupon recently for free shipping...

Ohh nice! Thank you so much for the info.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.