Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Questions about introducing a second pig

Dudleydoo

Cavy Slave
My husband and I adopted a 3 year old male guinea pig last week and have decided that since we will be building a C & C cage over Christmas holidays we are going to start looking to adopt a second piggie once the cage is ready.

I have read that it is sometimes better to get a really young pig to introduce to an adult guinea pig, but I have also read that as the pig grows into its 'teenage' years, there could be problems. The shelter has another male that is 1.5 years old and lived with his sons up until last week when they were adopted and he wasn't. If he is still there when the cage is ready we have talked about going and adopting him, but would the age be a problem?

I have never experienced putting 2 piggies together so I am looking for advice on whether age matters or not. We would prefer another adult, but if it is best to adopt a younger pig, that is what we will look for.

Does it make a difference that Dudley is 3 years old and has always been a single pig (at least that's what the shelter said the previous owners told them)? Would be be better off looking around to find a spayed female to put with Dudley? I know I have a lot of questions, but I don't want to hurt Dudley or a new piggie, so I would rather begin fully researching now so I am prepared when we get a new addition.

It's good that you're doing your research ahead of time. The downside is that it isn't going to make a lot of difference -- it's the personality of the pigs that determines whether or not a pairing will work.

At 3 and 1 1/2, the two pigs you mentioned should be past the worst throes of adolescence, and that might work in your favor. Another option is to adopt a baby -- nanny boars usually do quite well at raising little ones.

Is getting a guinea pig off of Kijiji or websites similar to that one just as bad as purchasing from a pet store?

There is a guinea pig being advertised as food or a pet and if it is a male, is it considered bad to get a guinea pig off of that site or should I stick to actual shelters/rescues?

Getting a pig off of Kijiji or Craigslist is fine, as long as it's not coming from a backyard breeder. These types of websites are great place to get pigs that need a new home. You can ask the person if they breed, and if they aren't truthful about their answer and you suspect that they are a breeder, ask to see what they keep their pigs in. Breeders usually have a distinct setup for housing their pigs.

I've been told that if you go via a rescue you might be able to let your Dudley choose his buddy. I am not sure exactly how that works, but it will be really nice to know that Dudley likes the choice of house mate that is being brought in. I guess folks who go to pignic's would know more about that too. I'd also like to know more about the way one goes about it from the piglet's point of choice. I asked in a thread on this forum about a year ago when I was totally new to forums and somehow lost the thread so while I was told it could happen I never found out how to go about it. Hoping that it will come up again via this thread, and that it gives you something further to consider about your choices with Dudley.

Some rescues will let you do a "meet and greet" to let your pig pick out its new cage mate. You could contact one near you and see if they're willing to do that.

Thanks, we are going to look for a rescue near us. The one rescue I can think of only seems to adopt out in pairs and they are typically male/female pairs (one of them in the pair is always fixed first).

I heard back from the person on Kijiji, turns out the little babies are all female, so unfortunately for me, I won't be able to get one - we don't really have room for 2 big cages at the moment.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.