Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting QUESTIONS about getting a new pig for Ritz

cynpz

Cavy Slave
my mom's coworker's pigs just had babies and i want to get one for my lonley adult male, Ritz, who i've had for about a month. the babies are about 3 weeks old and she does have males. is that a good age for a pig to be introduced to an adult? i read that its best to get a younger pig for an adult so dominace issues could be lessened. please let me know everything you can! id like to be sure before i decide to get it. Thank you!

You say you've had Ritz for a month, but how old actually is he?

Assuming he's a full adult, then introducing a baby shouldn't be too problematic. Quee is between 4 and 5 years old, and we had her for about a month when we introduced Kwee, who was about two months old. They get along very nicely.

sorry, Ritz is about 1 year old. do you think he is too young to meet a 3 week old pig? he been around 2 other small dogs(yorkie and shihtzu) before and was Very social! walked right up to the dogs and even crawled on them! he seemed more afraid of humans than dogs so i think he would do well with another pig? what do you think?

how old is ritz? whenever you decide to introduce guinea pigs, it's always a gamble. if you do a meet and greet, bringing ritz along, you can see a little who he might get along with, but it's not exactly the same when you get them home. the only advice i'd give, is to be prepared with a plan B, in case ritz and the new pig don't get along. you may have to divide your cage, or get 2 separate cages - that's the worst case scenario, but i wasn't prepared - i just assumed they'd all get along, so it was very disappointing when i had to separate the pigs and have a divided cage. good luck - and good for you for thinking about adopting from a person instead of a pet store

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks! my mom and i are going to go see the babies today to see how they act and if they would be a good match for Ritz before I decide.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.