Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Questions about fostering

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I was checking reference for a pet sitter and one of the references listed was the local humane society.
In talking with the references I asked them about guinea pigs and volunteering.
They do not have a physical facility. All pets are with fosters. They say that they do have guinea pigs on occasion. I told them I would be interested in fostering.

They asked if I was interested in fostering ferrets and that was a big NO. LOL.

My question is this: What questions should I ask them about fostering? What should I know on the front end? I would imagine the quarantine time is the same even if I never plan to put the fosters in with my boys.

I just want to make sure I ask what I need to ask before stepping off into the unknown.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

First off, congrats! Fostering is really rewarding... I made sure to limit my number of adopted pigs to accomodate foster pigs coming through.

The first question I would ask: what costs are covered by the organization? Commonly (with guinea pig rescues) fosters are provided with everything they need to care for the pigs except veggies, which should be your only out-of-pocket expense. [which brings up the interesting question of Should I have counted foster veggie costs on my taxes?]

You will definitely need to quarantine, meaning your foster pigs live in a different room from your pigs. Quarantine is necessary if you want them to even share a room with your pigs.

I would also ask: do you have a preferred vet lined up for your guinea pigs? What is the process of taking my foster to a vet? (who covers what costs, that sort of thing) Will you provide supplies (or cover cost of making) for a C&C cage? Will you provide other accessories (cozies, etc.)?

I'm sure I could strain for more questions, but with the rosy lens I see fostering through it is hard to think of any issues that come up.

@SurfingPigs, thanks. Those are great questions!
I would never have thought of most of those.

I love the idea of giving a piggy a good home till they find a forever home.

I foster kittens at the moment, and I just wanted to make sure you realize that you may end up "fostering" a pig forever. The problem I have is that eventually, I fall in love with the animal, make it a part of my home, and then get really upset when I think of giving it to someone else. Sometimes fostering goes on for so long, that it's inevitable that you just love that animal. I, too, want to investigate fostering guinea pigs sometime in the future, so keep me/us updated on how it goes!

I almost added the point Petlovr made... were it not for my conviction that foster pigs can't stay forever (because I would become a broke hoarder), my girlfriend would have made me adopt each and every one of them.

Don't end up with a zoo that you can't bear to part with lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.