Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Questions about fleece

minniemingming

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone
I'm new here and really enjoying reading everyone's posts about all things guinea pig! I have two females and am receiving my C&C 2x4 cage kit on Monday. I can't wait. I am keen to try fleece bedding when I move them to the new cage. I've read a lot on this forum but still have a few questions:

1. I have tons of fleece blankets from when my kids were little - are these fine to use or do I need a certain type of fleece? I know I need to wash them and put towels or pads underneath to absorb but I'm hoping to use what I already have in terms of the fleece itself.
2. How do you attach the fleece to the coroplast - I'm assuming you have to, or the guinea pigs will burrow under? or maybe not? hard to tell from some of the pics
3. Has anyone tried mattress underpads (like the ones I have left over from cribs) as the absorbent layer? Not sure if that would work on its own or whether you'd need towels too

My last question is in regards to the cage set up itself. The cage will be 2 x 4 with a loft - should I set up the hay/food area in the loft or keep it down below? Or maybe I need to wait until I see if they can make it up the ramp or not? They are both 5 months old and not tiny so I think they will be able to?

Thanks so much!

Here is my cage i ordered it off ebay so im assuming yours will come with a ramp like mine.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Questions about fleece[GuineaPigCages.com] Questions about fleece[GuineaPigCages.com] Questions about fleece[GuineaPigCages.com] Questions about fleece[GuineaPigCages.com] Questions about fleece
I would say the blankets would be fine as far as matress pad Idk. I use a big fleece blanket bottom and in the loft/ bedroom section. I use a fleece pillow case KING SIZE folded.Then the half loft kitchen area with carefresh. I sectioned kitchen off so gidget couldnt drag hay and bedding down ramp.

Here is my cage i ordered it off ebay so im assuming yours will come with a ramp like mine.

View attachment 22535View attachment 22536View attachment 22537View attachment 22538View attachment 22539
I would say the blankets would be fine as far as matress pad Idk. I use a big fleece blanket bottom and in the loft/ bedroom section. I use a fleece pillow case KING SIZE folded.Then the half loft kitchen area with carefresh. I sectioned kitchen off so gidget couldnt drag hay and bedding down ramp.
Oh and It was a two by three ordered I made it a two by four thats why different grids are used in some areas and coro plast wasnt quite big enough but it works well now like I have it and she has more room on bottom.l

Well for number one, a reason why fleece is a good bedding, is because it keeps piggy feet dry as it has almost no absorbency, it all just goes right to the towels under it. Most fleece that people have already used, has been washed with fabric softener. This makes it unable to do that job of whisking away moister. Though I have heard that if you take some vinegar and through it in with the fleece, then after a little while, you let it wash, that it will work almost like new again, though I have never tried this so I don't know if it works. So I would say go for it, as long as this works. :D About number 2, all piggies I have meet, mine included don't try to get under the fleece, so all you have to do is just lay it down and your done :) How ever if your pigs do try to get under in, you can just buy some binder clips, and clip the fleece to the sides of the coroplast. And I'm not sure about number three as I have never tried that, sorry. Good luck with your piggies! :D

Thank you - this is perfect, this is the exact cage design I ordered (off ebay too) so it really helps to see it for real. I love the idea of sectioning off the kitchen a bit. And i can see that you haven't had to clip the fleece on to the sides or anything, right?
I love the signs you made too, super cute. Now I'm really excited!!

Well for number one, a reason why fleece is a good bedding, is because it keeps piggy feet dry as it has almost no absorbency, it all just goes right to the towels under it. Most fleece that people have already used, has been washed with fabric softener. This makes it unable to do that job of whisking away moister. Though I have heard that if you take some vinegar and through it in with the fleece, then after a little while, you let it wash, that it will work almost like new again, though I have never tried this so I don't know if it works. So I would say go for it, as long as this works. :D About number 2, all piggies I have meet, mine included don't try to get under the fleece, so all you have to do is just lay it down and your done :) How ever if your pigs do try to get under in, you can just buy some binder clips, and clip the fleece to the sides of the coroplast. And I'm not sure about number three as I have never tried that, sorry. Good luck with your piggies! :D

Thank you! I don't use fabric softener and probably used Ivory Snow when the kids were babies so I guess I'll give it a try and hope that these will wick well. I guess one way to find out =) Thanks for your help!

Welcome!

1. I have tons of fleece blankets from when my kids were little - are these fine to use or do I need a certain type of fleece? I know I need to wash them and put towels or pads underneath to absorb but I'm hoping to use what I already have in terms of the fleece itself.
Yes, you can use what you have. Any fleece will work-blizzard, anti-pill, and something new I've just heard of-smooth fleece. It needs to be washed 3 times, just a tiny amount of soap, and rinse with vinegar to get the soap out and prevent static. No fabric softener or dryer sheets. This makes the fleece wick the moisture to the bottom absorbent layers.

2. How do you attach the fleece to the coroplast - I'm assuming you have to, or the guinea pigs will burrow under? or maybe not? hard to tell from some of the pics
Most people use binder clips, although I have seen some talented people sew velcro (hook and loop fastener) on the coro and the liner. Staples has colored binder clips right now, so I bought pink ones and purple ones to match my fleece, so they aren't as noticable.

3. Has anyone tried mattress underpads (like the ones I have left over from cribs) as the absorbent layer? Not sure if that would work on its own or whether you'd need towels too
Yes, many people have used the mattress pads, and like them just fine. I would recommend putting towels or the moving pads from Uhaul between the fleece and the mattress pad. It needs to be really absorbent to last a week between changes.

My last question is in regards to the cage set up itself. The cage will be 2 x 4 with a loft - should I set up the hay/food area in the loft or keep it down below? Or maybe I need to wait until I see if they can make it up the ramp or not? They are both 5 months old and not tiny so I think they will be able to?
I would put the "kitchen"-hay and food, in the loft. It keeps the fleece down below cleaner, and keeps the hay up top. The ramp needs to be the proper incline-it should be 2 grids long when layed flat, so 28 inches. Cover it with fleece, use the binder clips to attach it, and they will have good traction. You may need to teach them to go up and down-a trail of carrot slices or something similar should do it.

@Petlovr thank you for the quick response and such detailed answers! I love this forum!Tomorrow my job will be to wash my fleece and source some binder clips!!

YW! I find shopping for fleece addicting! Have fun setting up your cage-make sure to post pics when you''re done!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.