Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General questions about caging options

cyndyt

Cavy Slave
I need advise about tops on cages and other pets.
I recently have had to expand my cages again and am considering removing the top of the cage that has my girls in it.
Currently my 3X5 has girls in the top cage and boys in the bottom.
I have two cats that have never really bothered with the guinea pigs except to sleep in the cage when there was no lid on it.
Do you think it would be safe to leave the top of the cage open.?

My second question is
I was planning to build a second set of cages. The cages would be two 3x3 c&Cs stacked on top of each other.
As of tonight what I am thinking of doing is splitting the top of what is now the girls cage in half making it 2 2.5 by 3 grids and putting all the boys in this set of cages and building another cage to put all the girls in.
What do you think would be best to do?
1. put all the boys in one set of cages and building another complete cage for the girls large enough for all of them on one level?
2. Build a second set of cages each 3x3 c&c and leave the girls where they are?
3. Leaving the cages open.

I don't see any problem with leaving the cages open if your cat isn't terribly prey-driven and you feel they'd be safe. If you aren't sure, I wouldn't do it.

I'm not sure I understand your explanation of the cages, but if you are planning on putting "all the boys" in a 2.5 x 3 cage, I'd need to know how many "all the boys" are ... But more likely than not, it isn't a good idea. The key with keeping boys happy living in pairs or groups is space.

That size isn't likely to work for several females, either; but it might for just two.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.