Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Question

ally112087

Cavy Slave
I am not sure exactly where this should go but. I have 3 baby girls....One of my girls is long hair and her rear end gets really dirty so I have been giving her a bath to wash it. I have been giving my 2nd baby girl a bath at the same time just so that one does not think she is in trouble. I just got my 3rd baby girl so she has not gotten one yet.

But I was just told that it is not good for them to have baths. I am not sure what I should do now. I have been giving Sasha and Bella a bath about 1 a week sometimes a week and a half.

Am I doing something wrong for my girls...

I have read on various sites baths should only be given as needed because too much and the naturals oils in their skin and such will be removed causing dry skin.

For the long haired one you can just trim the hair in the back so it doesn't touch the ground. This will keep it cleaner and out of the poop.
Guinea pigs don't really need baths, most need one per year. But if they get into something and need a bath that's fine.
Hope I helped!

You do have to be careful about baths and dry skin.

But first, there's absolutely no need to give one pig a bath to keep the other from thinking she's in trouble. Your estimation of their intelligence and human-like feelings is way too high. The pig getting the bath has no way of knowing whether the other one gets one or not. She also has no concept of "being in trouble." And in any case, a yummy snack will make everything just fine.

Second, keep the hair trimmed short around the rear end so it doesn't drag through the pee and the poop and get matted when the pig is lying down, and you can cut down on a whole lot of the bathing.

Another way to cut down on the need for bathing is just to wipe her rear end down with a warm wash cloth, no soap, just a damp cloth. Then wipe her dry with a towel.

A lot of long hair-haired pigs have to get butt baths -- there's no need to bathe the whole pig.
When you do have to bathe her rear end, just dip her bottom in the water, use a drop or two of a very mild shampoo (for exotics, or for kittens), suds up only the dirty area, and then rinse well. Be sure to dry her well, also.

Guinea pigs are very clean animals, and usually don't need baths except for those with long butt hair. I only bathe mine about every six months or so, but that's as much because they like the water as because they need the bath.

I have trimmed the back but her white hair is turning yellow....I am using guinea pig shampoo so would that still help so that she does not dry out so much

QuestionHere is my baby girl Sasha

I bathe my girls once a week usually.. I don't think it's damaged their skin but one did have dandruff recently which I assume was caused by her skin flaking :confused: But I am now worried considering many of you guys do two per year...
But Ally, just so you know I think white pigs will always have a yellow tint to them.. Like I said, weekly isn't getting rid of it for me. But I also do a fine hack job getting rid of the long butt hairs, because I had the same issue ;)

(broken link removed) makes some good products for guinea pig skin -- for bathing, general itchiness, etc.

Where her hair is white and it gets a lot of urine on it, it's going to be stained yellow. It's not necessarily permanent, but it does get that way. My TSW (tortoise shell & white) pigs should be called TSWG's because of the almost constant green color under their chins. I just don't worry about it -- as long as it gets reasonably cleaned, there's no point aiming for bright white.

I still think bathing a pig 1 time a week is WAY to much.

Last edited:
I am not aiming for bright white but after I give her a bath her hair is back to white. I will check out that shampoo....thank you

Keep in mind, Ally, you stated when you were chatting in Cavy Talk that you were giving your Guinea Pigs a bath once every week. Please specify that.

:)

If you read in my very first post about this....I say that I give her a bath 1 a week....

Your pig is adorable, but I think I would trim her hair around her rear end much shorter. After all, having long hair does not help her physically or mentally in any way. She looks that way because humans think it's cute and have bred pigs that way. It's really better for her to have that long hair around her rear trimmed.

Another thing with bathing long haired pigs, is that it's hard to get them completely dry, then they are susceptible to getting chilled. As long as you are getting her completely dry between shampoos, and are making sure her hair is not getting too dry, then by all means continue with the bathing.

Your pig is adorable, but I think I would trim her hair around her rear end much shorter. After all, having long hair does not help her physically or mentally in any way. She looks that way because humans think it's cute and have bred pigs that way. It's really better for her to have that long hair around her rear trimmed.

Another thing with bathing long haired pigs, is that it's hard to get them completely dry, then they are susceptible to getting chilled. As long as you are getting her completely dry between shampoos, and are making sure her hair is not getting too dry, then by all means continue with the bathing.

Thank you...I make sure she is really dry...we use the hair dryer with them. I use a brush and dry her and make sure she is really dry....

Oh, be careful with the hair dryer! Pigs can get horribly burned from them.

The convection produced by a hair dryer should be more than enough to dry the hair, even if the heat is off. Make sure you use either a very low or off heat setting!

we use the cool setting....just to get her hair dry before we put her back in the cage.....she was young when we started it so she does not fight it...just sits tehre

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.