Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Question over load

Charisma Manzo

Cavy Slave
I have a few questions and I'm sorry if it's too much but I'm just curious.
My first one is is it okay for my guinea pig to chew on his pigloo because it's his favorite thing to chew on
Second is does any body else's piggy clear out the bedding in his pigloo to go to the bathroom
And my last question is if my piggys feet are dry and cracking what is something I can do to make them all better
Please help me and again I'm sorry if it's a lot of questions.:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No problem with the questions.

Yes, they can chew on the pigloo, although pigloos are awful hideys to have, in my opinion. There's no air circulation in them, and the pig sit and sleeps in its own waste. Far better to use fleece forests or a hidey with two doors so the iar can circulate.

I've never heard of one clearing out the bedding in the pigloo, but see my point above about why pigloos aren't good.

You can put cold pressed virgin coconut oil (almost any pharmacy or grocery store) on the feet. But the fact that they're dry and cracking indicates that the bedding may be too wet (see my first point above). You need to be sure the bedding is clean and dry at all times.

Here's some reading material for guinea pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Charisma Manzo

Cavy Slave
I have a tunnel hidey so I'll switch it out and try that. Thank you for the suggestions and I'll try to report back about how his feet get.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Make sure the tunnel hidey also keeps his feet dry.

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
I have a large castle looking pigloo that has two doors and I lay a potty pad under it and change each day. Seems to keep the piggies dry.

The cold pressed coconut oil is amazing. It cleared my newest girls leg and foot up with just two applications.