Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question on Grooming

mefingas

Cavy Slave
Do guinea pigs groom themselves? Just wondering because I walked over and saw the daughter groom herself kind of like a cat or a wallaby. I am guessing they are just fine. Maybe they know that I am planning on giving them a bath when it warms up.

pennick

Cavy Slave
They certainly do. Isn't it cute how they take their 2 front legs and wash their faces. I love to watch them.

puzzle

Cavy Slave
I would only give them a bath if they absolutly(sp) need it. My pigs had lice once so the had to have a few baths, but other than that they don't really need one.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Do guinea pigs groom themselves?
Yes, they do. Aren't they adorable? Also, for future reference, if right after grooming(not before) you see a white fluid come from where their eyes are, don't worry, it's just what I like to call 'eye jelly', it's something to help groom them. I just wanted to inform you beforehand, because alot of owners get worried when they see this.

Maybe they know that I am planning on giving them a bath when it warms up.
On another note, you probably shouldn't bathe them unless they really need it or have parasites. Bathing dries out a pig's skin, so if you must, try to do it only once every two to three months or so.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
There isn't an hour gone by when I don't see them grooming themselves. They sit up on their back legs and groom themselves like a cat! It is so adorable!!!
I have also seen them groom eachother... it is just so wonderful to see!

mefingas

Cavy Slave
I have had my girls since Nov 5th and I have yet to give them a bath and I just thought that come spring they could get one. Then they will get one in fall. Twice a year sounds just fine to me. Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.