Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rumblestrutting Question and a video!

SpicyPiggies

Cavy Slave
Nutmeg seems to constantly rumblestrutt. I see her trying to hump the baby but luckily the baby kicks her away. Is this normal? I feel like it is every few days, at least 4 times a week, and allll day long. She is about 8-9 months. She is definitely a girl though, the vet sexed her and someone would have been pregnant by now!

Also, a video of my Nutter Butter eating lettuce! <3
Nutmeg and her lettuce - YouTube

I love watching them eat!

In part of the video it looks like he's going to eat the camera .... Sure a cute piggy.. Love seem video of GPs

Oh how cute, thanks for posting.

Thanks everyone!

Anyone have advice on the rumblestrutting part? haha

I have two sows. Charlotte is the usual culprit for rumblestrutting and she goes through periods of time when she does it a lot. She's probably about 3 years old or younger. BJ sometimes does it as they trade off who the dominant pig is from time to time. Often, it's a sign that Charlotte isn't feeling so well so a good warning sign for me to notice. BJ is about the same age and almost the same size as Charlotte. Other times, Charlotte will actually hump BJ and once in a great while, BJ will hump Charlotte when they are trading off dominance. So, bottom line is that sometimes they do it a lot and sometimes all is quiet on the western front.

Given my observations that rumblestrutting in my pigs seems to be tied to how well they are feeling, I take it that seeing rumblestrutting is a good thing. Also, they are more likely to be popcorning and running around when they are rumblestrutting so another reason why I take it as a good sign.

Okay! Sounds pretty normal then. Yes the funniest thing is when Nutmeg rumble strutts and then breaks out into popcorning.

@SpicyPiggies are Nutmeg and this baby you speak of newly living together? If so, younger pigs tend to have bigger attitudes and dominance issues. As long as there is no legitimate fighting or blood being drawn, they'll probably be fine and will sort it all out between themselves in time.. I had two girls who definitely weren't meant to live together, they would lunge at one another and full on battle (no blood drawn thankfully) so I thought it was hopeless.. But one day my cat got into my room and scared the two, they each jumped out of their cage and burrowed underneath a sweatshirt I had lying on the floor and hid together for hours until I came home to discover it all. After that, that 'tramatic' event made it possible for them to live together, but the dominance issue was never quite figured out, it was pretty much a daily routine and just something to get used to!

But there are also two other possibilities which would be more of a health issue, so you should definitely start keeping a closer eye on the two observing each of them to make sure everything 100% fine and normal.

The first possibility is perhaps Nutmeg is showing early signs of an ovarian cyst? Now I do not know if they are able to get cysts younger then a year, but I do know cysts most commonly show in pigs around the age of two years, so thats something you'll need to research, but one of the main symptoms is heightened hormones, meaning a pig will rumblestrutt, hump, nip and chatter at their cage mate several times throughout the day, ALL day, rather than only during their 'cycle' which comes once a week? maybe every two weeks.. But other signs of a cyst are bilateral hair loss (its almost always symmetrical hair loss on the sides or top & bottom of the pig) swollen nipples with crustys on them, and bloating/being pear shaped. Just keep an eye out for those other symptoms because it's definitely an emergency situation if she starts to show these other signs. BUT I am assuming she's perfectly healthy and fine aside from your rumblestrutting concern, so no need to rush out to the vets tomorrow or anything. Just be weary of these signs and alert to any changes in behavior with Nutmeg.

The second possibility, I experienced with my pigs. The two that I had explained to you above, well one unfortunately became incredibly ill, to the point where she stopped eating and drinking on her own and had to be force fed hourly. During this illness period, her cage mate I had noticed was frequently rumblestrutting around her, mounting her, etc. Just harassing her loads which made me concerned that I was dealing with an ill guinea pig AND a pig with a cyst (the possible cyst pig I thought showed other signs but after an ultrasound she's 100% fine! No cysts :) ) I asked the vet why she was constantly bugging my ill guinea pig if she did not have a hormone imbalance, and the vet told me it was most likely that she sensed the other pig was sick and Darwinisim was taking place, she knew the other pig was sick and would die so she was keeping her away from the food and water, hoarding it all for herself since she knew she was the healthy superior one. Soooooo then that would mean you'd need to keep a close eye on your baby, not Nutmeg. Make sure she's able to eat at the food bowl without being chased off by Nutmeg, maybe even start weighing her daily incase your unable to watch them like a hawk. That way you'll be able to put a stop to it rather than one day noticing the baby is skin and bones and having it be to late to do anything..

I hope this helped! Again, no need to run and pay for a vet visit unless they are actually ill. These are just a few possibilities to take into consideration just so you know what to look for if anything out of the ordinary occurs!

Yes they have only been living together about a month, along with another pig who nutmeg was bonded with from the start. They all play really well together and have never been actually aggressive. Just rumblstrutting, never chattering. But that is really interesting what happened with your pigs!!
I had no idea about cysts! She is very vocal and seems perfectly healthy, but I will definitely keep an eye out for those signs. I plan on taking all 3 for a checkup in May.
The baby, sage, has definitely gained weight since I've gotten her. She doesn't eat as many pellets as the others (even if she is at the food bowl alone) but I figure that is because she has a smaller stomach. She eats tons of hay and veggies though. But I will definitely keep an eye out for that.
Thank you soooo much for your response. It really really helped. Thank you!!! <3

@SpicyPiggies are Nutmeg and this baby you speak of newly living together? If so, younger pigs tend to have bigger attitudes and dominance issues. As long as there is no legitimate fighting or blood being drawn, they'll probably be fine and will sort it all out between themselves in time.. I had two girls who definitely weren't meant to live together, they would lunge at one another and full on battle (no blood drawn thankfully) so I thought it was hopeless.. But one day my cat got into my room and scared the two, they each jumped out of their cage and burrowed underneath a sweatshirt I had lying on the floor and hid together for hours until I came home to discover it all. After that, that 'tramatic' event made it possible for them to live together, but the dominance issue was never quite figured out, it was pretty much a daily routine and just something to get used to!

But there are also two other possibilities which would be more of a health issue, so you should definitely start keeping a closer eye on the two observing each of them to make sure everything 100% fine and normal.

The first possibility is perhaps Nutmeg is showing early signs of an ovarian cyst? Now I do not know if they are able to get cysts younger then a year, but I do know cysts most commonly show in pigs around the age of two years, so thats something you'll need to research, but one of the main symptoms is heightened hormones, meaning a pig will rumblestrutt, hump, nip and chatter at their cage mate several times throughout the day, ALL day, rather than only during their 'cycle' which comes once a week? maybe every two weeks.. But other signs of a cyst are bilateral hair loss (its almost always symmetrical hair loss on the sides or top & bottom of the pig) swollen nipples with crustys on them, and bloating/being pear shaped. Just keep an eye out for those other symptoms because it's definitely an emergency situation if she starts to show these other signs. BUT I am assuming she's perfectly healthy and fine aside from your rumblestrutting concern, so no need to rush out to the vets tomorrow or anything. Just be weary of these signs and alert to any changes in behavior with Nutmeg.

The second possibility, I experienced with my pigs. The two that I had explained to you above, well one unfortunately became incredibly ill, to the point where she stopped eating and drinking on her own and had to be force fed hourly. During this illness period, her cage mate I had noticed was frequently rumblestrutting around her, mounting her, etc. Just harassing her loads which made me concerned that I was dealing with an ill guinea pig AND a pig with a cyst (the possible cyst pig I thought showed other signs but after an ultrasound she's 100% fine! No cysts :) ) I asked the vet why she was constantly bugging my ill guinea pig if she did not have a hormone imbalance, and the vet told me it was most likely that she sensed the other pig was sick and Darwinisim was taking place, she knew the other pig was sick and would die so she was keeping her away from the food and water, hoarding it all for herself since she knew she was the healthy superior one. Soooooo then that would mean you'd need to keep a close eye on your baby, not Nutmeg. Make sure she's able to eat at the food bowl without being chased off by Nutmeg, maybe even start weighing her daily incase your unable to watch them like a hawk. That way you'll be able to put a stop to it rather than one day noticing the baby is skin and bones and having it be to late to do anything..

I hope this helped! Again, no need to run and pay for a vet visit unless they are actually ill. These are just a few possibilities to take into consideration just so you know what to look for if anything out of the ordinary occurs!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.