Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Question about Vita-grass packets

thevultureslove

Cavy Slave
Hey all, my boyfriend decided he want to grow a little window garden full of things our guinea could eat. He got me a few little pots with cilantro, I think a dill plant, and he bought something called Vitagrass (I think?) from a pet store. He said on the packets it had guinea pigs on them and advertised growing your own grass for your piggies to munch on. I know cilantro and dill are safe for piggies, but has anyone tried this vita grass stuff? I just want to make sure it's safe and not something a pet store is marketing to piggies when it's really meant for another species entirely.

I'd be wary of the vita-grass. I have seen people plant grass seeds for their pigs but grass by itself should have enough nutrients for the pigs without being marketed as "VITA-grass". That, sounds to me, like it's not completely organic and something was added to it.

Cat grass/small pet grass is usually just expensive wheat grass & similar grasses. It's completely safe & usually a big hit, but it's so much cheaper to just purchase wheat grass seeds & plant it in any container/pot you have at home.

I've also found that the big pet brand grasses are much lower quality, and sometimes don't grow at all.

@thevultureslove - if the Vitagrass is indeed wheat grass, it should be okay. There should be a label somewhere on the pot saying what exactly the grass is. If it doesn't tell you, I would err on the side of caution and not give it to them.

You can buy enough wheat seeds to feed your pigs for months for about $6 at a health food store.

Thanks guys. I didn't read the outside of the packet because he just gave me the little bowl it came with, but I'm sure I can just go into the pet store and look at the ones they have there. I personally wouldn't bother growing it for my pig since I give them loads of veggies, but he was just trying to do something sweet for Ares I suppose. @HannibalLecter, I don't think this grass is growing at all. But oh well it was a nice gesture.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.