Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Question about taming, frustrated

scarlettraven

Cavy Slave
We have had our 2 sows for awhile now.
Bingo since November, Daisy since early January.
Bingo is 8 months old, Daisy about 7.

Bingo is very friendly, vocal and likes to be petted.
Daisy is still terrified of everything.

Here is my question: when I try to pick Daisy up (either by hand or by elevator..in a opened ended tube) she screams....I means she sounds terrified and like I am hurting her.

I routinely check them to make sure they are healthy. I have heard that mites, etc. can make pigs not want to be held. I have researched ALOT and I don't think that's what the issue is. She has no sores, dandruff, can't see anything on her, no scratching....she eats and poops normally, likes her hay and veggies. and pellets.

She is perfect....except for this issue. It makes me not want to handle her because she seems to hate it so much. I still do because I figure if I don't she will never bond with me. In the time we've had her she has NEVER eaten food from my hand....even during lap time...I offer her lettuce, cilantro, parley...nothing...she won't take it. Bingo on the other hand will eat from my hand, come to me, snuggle.

Do you think Daisy will ever "tame" ?:weepy:

Just wanted to add...that she hides in her house if you go by the cage and even pulls her veggies into her house to eat them.
BUT.....when she "thinks" no one is watching.....I will watch her do zoomies all over the (2x4) cage and popcorn all over the place! :D

Is she screaming in the elevator method,too? Or just generally being scared? My first thought would be perhaps she's had a prior injury and it hurts for her to be touched/held in certain ways. I've heard about piggies with back problems that can't be held conventionally.

mine does the same thing. He would hide in his house all day long and always wants to sleep. He only comes out when it's dark and no one is watching. But, if I put treat in front of him, he would comes out and bite it. Then he runs and eat in his house. He is very odd and sometimes depressing...lol

Is she screaming in the elevator method,too? Or just generally being scared? My first thought would be perhaps she's had a prior injury and it hurts for her to be touched/held in certain ways. I've heard about piggies with back problems that can't be held conventionally.

She screams when my hand comes near her...so before I even touch her.

mine does the same thing. He would hide in his house all day long and always wants to sleep. He only comes out when it's dark and no one is watching. But, if I put treat in front of him, he would comes out and bite it. Then he runs and eat in his house. He is very odd and sometimes depressing...lol

Thankfully she is out during the day, but if there any sudden movement she will run back and hide. and yes it is sometime depressing as I feel sad that she can't bond with me.

I'm in the same boat, Mochi, my young boy, will always run when anyone comes in the room or gets up. Picking him up is a nightmare, but once he's in his favorite "blanket" (which is really my fuzzy Hello Kitty pajama pants) he's all vocal and purring and happy. I don't know how to get him to realize that being picked up won't kill him.

mime are all the same way. once you get them they chill out

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.