Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about syrian hamsters and alfalfa..

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
I know you can't give alfalfa to rats, and you're not supposed to give it to cavies under 6 months of age, but can syrian hamsters have it? I was doing some "mini" spring cleaning/organizing and I found a "mini bale" of alfalfa. Its not old, don't worry lol I recognized it.

Also, I seem to be wasting my piggies' valuable hay on poor little Gracie, my syrain hamster. She just doen't seem to be interested one bit. Oxbow's website says that hay is good for all small pets, and my rats do seem to enjoy it, but I wish Gracie would too!

Has anyone had any success with offering hay to their syrian hamsters? If so, please list what type of hay it was.

I mean, at least my rats use it for 2 purposes, mostly nesting, but they do actually eat some too. Gracie won't even use it for nesting!

Much thanks!!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hay isn't essential for hammies either. Most won't like it.

I know you can't give alfalfa to rats, and you're not supposed to give it to cavies under 6 months of age
This you have backwards. Afalfa hay is given to cavies under 6 months as a supplement to unlimited grass hay. When the pigs are over 6 months it can be given as a rare treat. Alfalfa can also be used as a supplement for pregnant sows.

HeraHero

Cavy Slave
Some hamsters would chew on it a little bit but as Ly said it's not essential. However a lot of hamsters like to make nests with 3rd cutting (or very soft 2nd) hay. I have heard that the oils in the alfalfa are good for their skin. just make sure the hay is soft so it doesn't damage Gracies eyes, pouch or anything else.
HeraHero