Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Question about Species Specific Parasites

princesskitty_3

Cavy Slave
Yesterday when I took my piggy out to have some play time I noticed what I thought to be dandruff. Upon closer inspection I saw he had bugs of some kind. I jumped on this forum and did some research. I completely believe what he has is lice. There are white little dots, close to the scalp, that seem to be 'stuck' on the hairs. There are also live bugs that are slender and an off-white color. Right now both the 'dots' (eggs) and 'bugs' (lice) are mainly on the top of the head.

The only thing is everyone says that lice are species specific and I only have 1 piggy and I nor him have been in contact with any other piggys. If lice is species specific then how on Earth did he get this? Or is it even lice? Before I get medication to treat I wanted to be sure this is what I thought it was.

Can you post a picture? It might be useful to those viewing to help you determine what exactly is wrong.

some parasites are species specific but sometimes the eggs or spores can survive for extended periods of time before being picked up by the target species, so I think maybe it is possible your piggy picked up lice somewhere even though he hasnt been in contact with another guinea pig, though Im no expert on guinea pig parasites :)

They certainly sound like lice to me. How long have you had your guinea pig?

I would definitely treat for lice.

Sorry it took me so long to reply back, busy, busy, busy..

Thanks Eimear! I guess that's how he got these nasty things. It still seems like extreme odds though.

I have had him for about 3 years and this is the first time he has ever gotten anything or had any problems. I've spent the last 2 days running around to different stores in my town and towns over and I have finally found some Advantage! So I am off to Guinea Lynx to figure out the dosage for him.

Thanks for all the great info on this forum! :)

good luck with everything, hope your piggy is better soon :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.