Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question About New Pig Introduction

Heather A

Cavy Slave
As some of you may know my piggy Dakota Had three babies Yesterday...None of them made it...So I called a friend who have a young litter from a rescue she took in so I went and adopted a cute little girl who is around 3 weeks old...THey seem to be getting along great but i'm not sure when I should keep them in the same cage. I have a big 48x24 cage comeing in about a week so right now they are in separate petstore cages right next to each other
and when I am home I let them have free time and the little one Holly clings to Dakota like glue... but i'm still not sure

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hello and Good Morning !

Well introductions should only be done once, so since they have already been introduced and exposed to one another, I would say when your bigger cage comes in it would be fine to put them both in together.

A pet store cage for two, would be too cramped right now. The cage that is coming is 48"x24" ? That is barely enough room for even one piggie, so I would order more grids and coroplast, or pick up grids at a bed & bath or target or some other place that sells the right size grids. ( they need to be 9 squares across) For more coroplast you could find at sign making shops.( Not sure where else you could find some coroplast, sorry!). Below are a couple links for you to "click out" , the first is on proper cage size, and the second is on guinea pig introductions, and their social behaviour. Dakota has been through so much grief, I am sure this little one will be so good for her !! I am so happy for Dakota !

Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

Guinea Pigs Social Life

Heather A

Cavy Slave
The cage I have ordered is a midwest expandable cage
I have found that it is affordable and you can connect cages for more space
when I get paid again I will be ordering a second cage so they should have plenty of room.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think adopting the baby was a wonderful idea. Momma might even think that's her baby and treat her as her own. Photos, please!!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
The cage I have ordered is a midwest expandable cage
I have found that it is affordable and you can connect cages for more space
when I get paid again I will be ordering a second cage so they should have plenty of room.

That's great ! That would certainly then, be plenty enough room ! :)
I would love to see some pigtures too !