Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Question about my hay quality and storage?

Jeedus

Cavy Slave
I recently went to my local Tractor Supply Co and noticed that they had bales of timothy hay for 9.99. Seeing as how it is the only hay that is close to me that comes in large bales, I decided to snag one while they had them. I picked the softest hay I could, but even then, the hay is a dull green with some tan-ish pieces here and there. Some of the hay is kind of soft, and then some of it is crunchy and has some hard stems. Should I continue feeding my pig this hay, or should I run to the feed store and grab a large bag of Oxbow to hold me over while I order a new bale of Kleenmama's hay from online?

Also, I've been storing this bale in one of those black, industrial garbage bags and I have about 1 inch holes poked through various spots in the bag for ventilation, as well as keeping the bag open. Is this okay storage until I order my new hay and get the cardboard box for it?

The hay itself doesn't sound too bad so I think it is ok. The most important thing for hay is to keep it dry and away from any moisture! so it's good that it is off the ground and the holes should be good. Check the way it smells from time to time when you open the lid to make sure it doesn't smell bad, if so then just throw away what doesn't look good.

I still can't help but worry! Haha. Like, those sharp, crunchy pieces of hay make me feel very uneasy, especially when I see my little guy burrowing through his hay and sleeping in it. He has been eating it for about a week now and he hasn't been hurt by it at all, but even I got some hay splinters while I was breaking chunks off of the bale to give to him! It smells pretty fresh but not as fresh as the bagged Oxbow hays I have gotten in the past.

I still can't help but worry! Haha. Like, those sharp, crunchy pieces of hay make me feel very uneasy, especially when I see my little guy burrowing through his hay and sleeping in it. He has been eating it for about a week now and he hasn't been hurt by it at all, but even I got some hay splinters while I was breaking chunks off of the bale to give to him! It smells pretty fresh but not as fresh as the bagged Oxbow hays I have gotten in the past.

I still would doubt that the hay is deadly haha. But I can see why you would worry. If your pig is uncomfortable he/she will not eat it or not lay on it. Try it, and if your piggies are happy then they will eat as much as they like and should be fine! You will be able to notice if they aren't happy. We all have that motherly instinct! :) (and I am a boy ;) )

Also, make sure the hay isn't dusty and has a somewhat sweet smell, and you will be AOK.

;)

I'd make sure there's no alfalfa mixed in. I bought a bale that turned out to be about 1/3 alfalfa from a local farm. My vet said that the roughage in hay is good for guinea pigs. He said they're sort of like little goats.... they even eat the stems.

If it's worse then the oxbow i recently bought then id be worried. The oxbow i had was super hard, no soft leaves whatsoever. just thick tough stems and a very dull yellowish green. The hay you descibe sounds pretty good, just watch his eyes/nose and make sure he doesn't get anything stuck in either.

I have the 40 oz bag of hay from Oxbow. (Timothy) Is it okay if it is just left in the bag (sealed of course) and stays in a room that is usually at..well..normal room temp. i guess...?

at my tractor and supply they sell coastal hay there was mixed reviews about whether it was good for my piggies
it would be cheaper than online buying

I have the 40 oz bag of hay from Oxbow. (Timothy) Is it okay if it is just left in the bag (sealed of course) and stays in a room that is usually at..well..normal room temp. i guess...?

It's fine to leave in the bag. Oxbow hay bags have holes in them. You can also transfer your hay to a cardboard box if you want.

at my tractor and supply they sell coastal hay there was mixed reviews about whether it was good for my piggies
it would be cheaper than online buying

Coastal hay is fine to feed. You can feed any type of grass hay, doesn't have to be timothy.

Coastal hay is ok, it's just harder to find it in good quality than it is some of the other hays. The coastal hay around here is not much more than straw.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.