Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty question about my girls eye

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
I have 3 female guinea pigs who all seem to be very healthy and all of a sudden yesterday one females eye looks a little watery. I waited a bit checked on her again and it was a small amount of gooky white dishcharge from only one eye. I wiped it out and examined her eye is all looks fine and i checked on her again that night she was fine. This afternoon she had a little bit again in the same eye. She seems fine acts normal no runny nose or anything. Is this normal or is there anything else i can check before i decide if i need to go to the vet or not?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Most likely she scratched it on a bit of bedding or hay. Keep a watch on it. If the discharge goes away it was likely very minor and has healed on it's own. If the discharge continues and/or if her eye appears irritated or she's blinking a lot or if she starts showing discharge in the other eye as well or nose discharge then a vet visit is in order.

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much! I was thinking this was it and i hope it is nothing major i'll keep watching her. She tends to be the dominant one who jumps in all the bins when i refill with hay and i wondered if maybe one did nick her eye.