Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Question About Liner Sizes

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
OK...So many of you may have seen the liner sets I sewed for my niece. Well, when I got them to her house, cleaned up her cage, and showed her how easy it was to just plop them in - now I WANT some! :)

My question is for those of you with a larger (2x6 or even people with 3x4 etc) cage and use fleece liners -

1. Do you use one big liner or 2 smaller liners over lapping?
2. If you use 2, do they try to go under them?
3. They tend to potty more on one side than the other (I also have a kitchen) so I'm thinking if I had 2 smaller ones (2 3x2 liners rather than 1 6x2), the dirty side could get changed more often...They do not try to get under the fleece at all now but I worry if there is a seam where the two meet, they may start and I don't want to binder clip them together.

All comments...suggestions...answers welcomed :) Thanks!

Can you make 2 smaller liners, and velcro them together at the seem? That should stop them from going under the fleece. I use 1 big liner, but my Uhaul pads are in a separate "envelope", and I lay my fleece on top. I was afraid it would take too long to dry if it was all sewn together, and my fleece goes up, over, and back down the corplast tray. You can see the fleece from the outside. So trying to bunch all that material up to sew it would have been hard. Maybe you can do your liners like I do, make 2 smaller ones, but keep the fleece in 1 big piece. Then just change out the Uhaul pad underneath halfway through the week.

My question is for those of you with a larger (2x6 or even people with 3x4 etc) cage and use fleece liners -

1. Do you use one big liner or 2 smaller liners over lapping? I wouldn't.
2. If you use 2, do they try to go under them? Yes, all the time. I was like a sport - "How many different ways can we get under the fleece."
3. They tend to potty more on one side than the other (I also have a kitchen) so I'm thinking if I had 2 smaller ones (2 3x2 liners rather than 1 6x2), the dirty side could get changed more often...They do not try to get under the fleece at all now but I worry if there is a seam where the two meet, they may start and I don't want to binder clip them together. - Mine are like this too. I just change the towels underneath more often (mine are not sewn together). A second pad on top might work also. Just change the top pad out. Right now I'm experimenting with a seperate kitchen and that seems to be working really well. I don't use fleece in the kitchen.

Can you make 2 smaller liners, and velcro them together at the seem? That should stop them from going under the fleece. I use 1 big liner, but my Uhaul pads are in a separate "envelope", and I lay my fleece on top. I was afraid it would take too long to dry if it was all sewn together, and my fleece goes up, over, and back down the corplast tray. You can see the fleece from the outside. So trying to bunch all that material up to sew it would have been hard. Maybe you can do your liners like I do, make 2 smaller ones, but keep the fleece in 1 big piece. Then just change out the Uhaul pad underneath halfway through the week.

So you lay your U-Haul pads under the fleece, and each has it's own envelope? Then you put the Fleece on top? Why are your pads in 2 pieces?

So you lay your U-Haul pads under the fleece, and each has it's own envelope? Then you put the Fleece on top? Why are your pads in 2 pieces?
I don't think I was clear. My pads are layered and sewn together-old sheet/Uhaul pad/Uhaul pad/old sheet. I didn't sew my fleece to the Uhaul pads because I was afraid the thickness would make it take too long to dry in the dryer. I was suggesting that YOU make your Uhaul pads in 2 pieces under your fleece, and not sew the fleece to the pads, so when they pee more on one side than the other, you can just lift the fleece up, and take out the wetter pad, put a dry one there, and put the fleece back in place. Is that any clearer? Sometimes I don't explain myself well, sorry. :eek:

That makes sense to me. Thanks!

Thanks! The velcro just might work...I don't like my fleece up and over the coroplast so I'm trying to avoid having to do all of the folding I currently do :) I may just make one big liner, I was also trying to salvage the smaller pieces of U-haul I currently have.

Thanks! The velcro just might work...I don't like my fleece up and over the coroplast so I'm trying to avoid having to do all of the folding I currently do :) I may just make one big liner, I was also trying to salvage the smaller pieces of U-haul I currently have.

If you're trying to use up small pieces I would go ahead and try it out. The problem is that if your pigs turn out to be burrowers, they will get under the fleece wherever they can, including around the edges. However, if they're not burrowers, it won't matter how many pieces the cage liner is. I just know I went through a lot of liner designs before I had something they couldn't get under. :) Piggies will do whatever they want, in spite of all your careful planning.

I'm experimenting with just a pad for a liner, not having it go over the coro. We'll see how the boys like it. I'm also doing some for the bunnies, but the girls flip the fleece over to lay on the Uhaul pad. :p How are you sewing the corners where the fleece folds over itself? I broke 2 needles last night :-(

@petlover - The corners were tough, I started my project with a new needle and I put the foot tension thingy (yes I'm positive that is the technical name) all the way down and I do not lower the foot. I just fed and guided (pulled from behind but not hard to avoid bunching) the fabric through. Also, the liners I sewed were only 1 piece of U-haul pad and 1 piece of fleece. Since I'm just trying to save myself the folding time, I figure I can lay a precut piece of U-haul down and then the sewed liner.

How many layers are you sewing? Try a bigger/new needle first and see if that helps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.