Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about hay

WendyK

Cavy Slave
Apologies ahead of time if this question has already been addressed but I did look around the site and did not see an answer to the following question: Can you feed a combination of grass hays to gps? I am asking because I found a store that sells a bale of nice, fresh smelling hay for $4.00!!! This bale is a combination of timothy and alfalfa and I'm assuming that it is fed primarily to horses. I have been spending $9.00 for 40oz. of Oxbow Timothy so the price differential between these two hays is outrageous! My guys get Cavy Cuisine pellets and fresh veggies daily - any input here will be greatly appreciated.

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
Alfalfa hay is only for pigs of younger thatn6months or pregnant, I'm not sure if you could still feed it to them but I doubt it. Timothy hay is good.

skirbo

Cavy Slave
Your local feed stores that carry horse hay ought to have other good grass hay as well... it is apparently fine to feed Bermuda, which is also frequently called "Coastal Bermuda" and to some people even just "Coastal".

Sarah

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I'm assuming that since you use Cavy Cuisine, your piggies are over 6 months old. They really shouldn't have the alfalfa unless they are younger, pregnant, or lactating. If the mix was timothy with bluerass, bermuda, or orchard grass, you would be fine.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Right now I have been feeding a mixture of alfalfa and bermuda grass. I have several pigs that were under 6 months old. Most are now 7 mths and older. My bale is almost gone and I will be going to a timothy or a timothy mixed with bermuda grass. I am in AZ and the bales run around $9.00 dollars.
The timothy bale runs $20.00 as it is not as common as the alfalfa. Alfalfa and bermuda grass are well used in AZ.
There is no-where here that sells Oxbow and the shipping is so expensive. I buy all of my feeds and hay from the feed store.

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If they are over 6 months, no alfalfa except as an occasional treat. Anyone that has pigs with sludge or stone problems should not feed alfalfa at all. It's also nice to know that more people are using Bermuda Grass.

WendyK

Cavy Slave
OK - what is sludge?

WendyK

Cavy Slave
Thank you - looks like I'm sticking with the expensive stuff!

fuzypeaches

Cavy Slave
Ok then I have a question about hay, when people say unlimited hay, how much should I be putting in per day? I have a basket thats not very big, but still has room for what I thought was enough hay, but maybe not? Can anyone tell me approx. how much per pig?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Unlimited means unlimited. They shouldn't be without hay. If you go by the cage and the basket is running low refill it. Put more in before you go to bed, before you leave for the day, when you come back in the house. There's not an amount per pig.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Feed as much hay as is needed to last until you have time to refill it. The less hay you put in the less tends to get wasted but they can't run out at any time. It completely depends on the individual guinea pigs, hay setup(spread around the cage, confined to a hay rack,etc...), and the quality of the hay as to how much is needed. Brown pieces will not be eaten unless they get hungry enough while there is absolutely nothing else around so more brown pieces means more hay is needed because all brown pieces are wasted.