Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about hair loss...

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
Do guinea pigs shed?? Should I be worried about that or is it ok just not in clumps??

~~Cheri~~

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Yes, they sure do! A few hairs here and there is perfectly normal. The only thing you should hace to worry about is clumps, like you've said.

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
Whew...when I was reading about the mites, I started to think...lol

How do you keep that to a minimum...can you!? I know when I brush my cat it seems to help, but I don't think it's helping much with my girls! lol Maybe I should do it every day instead of every week...

TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
awww! Too cute!! How often do you bathe her?? I am interested because I recently learned that I am allergic to my pigs! lmao So that sucks seeing as I have 4!! But getting them another home is not an option for me as I am already attached, so I thought maybe I could bathe them more often...anyone have a comment about that!? I don't want them to get sick from it or anything. I use bunny bath btw, and I've only bathed them 2 times since I've had them (about 2 1/2 months). And originally I was saying not to bathe them because I know they are clean enough....So what should I do!?

~~Cheri~~

TinaFabulous
TinaFabulous

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
lol...too funny! When I washed mine I sat them on their bums and washed them that way, with both hands on them so they felt supported. Try that...maybe she just doesn't like to be on her back, if that's how you do it.

~~Cheri~~

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
they don't mind their nails being clipped...I'm truly blessed with my girls!!

~~Cheri~~

TinaFabulous

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Tina, you shouldn't be bathing your pig that often. Guinea pigs only need to be bathed 3-4 a YEAR. I have heard that excessive bathing can cause dry skin. Can anybody confirm this? There's no need for so many baths since they are quite clean animals.

TinaFabulous
TinaFabulous

Piglet

Cavy Slave
ok then, that seems fine

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I agree with Piglet. They shouldn't need a bath that often. If she's dirty, you can try wiping with a damp washcloth, as that won't wash out all the oils. If you just want the hair to get off, try getting a soft travel-sized hairbrush. It works well!

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
Is there a happy medium for people like me with allergies?? What if I water the shampoo down?? (btw, there is a hint for those of you that bathe their dogs or cats...add water to your shampoos, especially if they're medicated or flea shampoos...put like one part shampoo to two or three parts water...it does the job and it rinses better...it's super consintrated and super strong) do you think that'll be ok?? If I bathe them like every week and a half to two weeks??

TinaFabulous
TinaFabulous

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
Allergies??? Anyone??? I had a real bad attack today from cleaning the cage out...I need some advice!! lol

TinaFabulous
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.