Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Question about guinea pigs spreading hay all over

nicoleb

Cavy Slave
I have 2 guinea pigs, have had them for about 6 weeks. We use carefresh bedding and have not had any problems with it. We have a hay rack on the outside of the cage, and that has been working great.

All of a sudden in the last 2-3 days, the guinea pigs have been taking the hay from the hay rack and spreading it all over the cage floor.

Is it normal for them to do that? Should I be concerned that they just started doing it?

I've never owned guinea pigs before, so I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks for any input!

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I prefer to use a hay bin instead of a rack. My Pedro loves to "be one with the hay". He loves to sleep and bury himself in it. Most piggies enjoy playing in the hay. Getting used to hay everywhere if kind of something that you just have to get used to, I guess. 001 002
There's some pics of Pedro playing in his hay bin. We waste a lot of hay, but he loves it so much I don't have the heart to take the bin away! I fill the bin so it's overflowing with hay, and then he bulldozes right through it and spreads it everywhere lol

nicoleb

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I just wasn't sure if it was weird or I should worry since it just started. Maybe they are getting comfortable enough now to be siily :)

merrycat

Cavy Slave
We have an empty kitty litter box under the hay rack but, while it remains mostly empty, the rest of the cage is still covered in hay. I'm not sure why, but my boys just like having hay underfoot, it seems. I just roll with it, and do more frequent cleanings of the soiled hay.

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
I did the same thing before, my problem with the bin is that they also poop and pee in it, then it just lies there in the bottom of the bin. How do you deal with that?

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
they also poop and pee in it, then it just lies there in the bottom of the bin. How do you deal with that?

Throw it out when they do that and replenish the hay so they don't consume the soiled hay.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I did the same thing before, my problem with the bin is that they also poop and pee in it, then it just lies there in the bottom of the bin. How do you deal with that?

Very rarely does my Pedro bathroom in the bin, but when he does, I dump out all the hay and clean the bin. Then I refill it and it goes back in the cage.