Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Question about C and C cages

peepapie

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!! I have just joined this wonderful site and have some questions about the C and C cages. Presently, Penelope and Lila are separated because they were adopted a year apart. However, we have realized that the older, Penelope was becoming a little depressed :weepy: not having Lila with her, except at floor time, so we have put them together for the last 3 days in their play area. We want to build a cage suitable for the two of them and have done a bit of research. How big is the best for the piggies? (not in square feet, I am mathematically illiterate :crazy: And, is cleaning the fleece really that easy? We have in their cages now, bedding carefresh and fleece. We typically dump the bedding and then shake out the fleece, because they do not pee in JUST one area and certainly poo EVERYWHERE, and then bag the fleece to be washed separately. How do you guys clean the fleece? How is it attached tot he coroplast?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!! We live in an apartment and the girls are in the "office" perpendicular to eachother, but they definitely seem happier together!

thank you so much!!!!
Amanda:)

For 2 pigs it should be at least 2 x 4 grids, but if you have the space and resources for a larger one, bigger is always better. You can also add a loft if you like. I have a 1 x 2 loft (2 x 4 main part) and at one end I put a pile of hay and the other end is a sawdust type litter and they do a lot of their business there but by no means all of it. I have made fleece mats (for the main part of the cage) with 2 layers of fleece with 2 layers of U-haul pad in between. About halfway through the week, I flip the whole mat over and they have a semi-clean cage for the rest of the week. It's certainly not necessary to do it this way but it works for me. I just throw the fleece in the wash once a week but I have a few extra small pieces of fleece that I lay down in the heavy traffic areas (read that as heavy pee/poop areas) and change those midweek when I flip my fleece mat. I don't attach it to the coroplast, it just lays there. If my pigs were burrowers, I might use Velcro or something. Are you using carefresh and fleece together?

It only takes me 2 minutes to sweep the fleece, but I have to do it a few times a day. I previously used towels under the fleece. I held the fleece in place over the edges with binder clips. Now I use fleece liners, and I like them a lot better. It's an absorbent fleece pad the lines the cage. Some go over the edges. You can check out piggiebedspreads.com or Jen's Custom Crafts for examples.

To sweep daily, I use a large metal serving spoon. It sounds weird, but it works! You can 'scrape" tiny pieces off the liner and glide it over the fabric to pick up poo easily. I'll shake it outside, use a vacuum attachment, or use a rubber pet brush (normally used to hair removal on upholstery) before putting into the wash. Whichever I feel like doing that day.

Make the cage as big as you're able to. The minimum for two pigs is 2x4. The measurements uses the grids as a guide. So 2 grids, by 4 grids.Each grid is about 14 inches wide, with a bit of extra space between connected grids. It gives pretty clear instructions on the main guineapigcages.com website. Get someone else to look over it with you if you're having trouble.

I would suggest putting them together, especially if they do ok with eachother during floor time. Go as big as you can with the minimum being 2x4. Fleece is GREAT and really easy to use, not to mention, cheaper than bedding! I use 2 layers of towels or uhaul pads with fleece draped on top and binder clipped to the coroplast. I sweep poos every day and do a complete cage change every week. It takes me 20 minutes tops and my cage is 3x6! As long as you keep up with the poos and hay, it's really easy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.