Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about biting and mites (again :) )

kkendall

Cavy Slave
I know that pigs will bite if they have mites. Will they generally quit biting after they are treated? Mine have been treated yet are still nipping at me. Maybe they weren't biting because of the mites...I don't know. Maybe they just bite! LOL

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Are they actual bites or do they nibble. How long has it been since the treatment?

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
I was gonna ask the same thing because on of my pigs nibble, and no one has ever done anything to her to make her think she needs to bite, so I think that some pigs just nibble. maybe to taste what you have on you hands even if you just washed. Maybe they can smell it. But if they are just getting over mites, maybe they are still sensitive and prefer not to be handeled right now.

kkendall

Cavy Slave
They recieved their last shot 3 days ago. My little guy just nibbles, however Henry my bigger guy bites. They are both still young'ins so they may just need more time and socialization. How long does it generally take to get over mites? Just curious. Thanks for your replys :)

kkendall

Cavy Slave
I was also wondering if their cage is suitable. I have them in a 3x2 with a 1x2 upper deck. I could make it bigger but they would have to be put in a more "secluded" place in the house. Right now they are in the dining room, which is not being used as a dining room. It is my office/kids play room. There is lots of activity in here. If I was to make it bigger I would have to move them to the mud room or laundry room (it's larger) but there is not much hourly activity in those places so I opted to make their cage a bit smaller to better socialize them. What do you think? Keep them in here or make their cage bigger and move them?

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
how many do you have?? If it's just two I would say that is a fine amount of space, however the rule of thumb is bigger is always better! I have four pigs in a 2x4. I plan to build a 2x2 loft and make it a 2x5 soon though. Just make sure each pig has their own house or something to hide in.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
That cage size seems perfectly acceptable. I would say stick to the dining room. Its nice for them to have lots of interaction.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I agree, the cage size is not under the limit, so it's fine. I would prefer socialization to an empty room with a huge cage any day! The shots are 7-10 days apart, two or three shots. It takes a bit for them to get over it, even after the last shot. The pigs are, firstly, young and will nibble for a bit. Number two, they just ad mites, and will be a bit sensitive to touch for some time. They may be still a bit ornery because of this as well. One of my pigs was really mean, but after treatment that went away! He's a sweet lap pig now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.