Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Quarantining New Pigs for how long?

• Thread starter GuineaPigPerson
  • Start date

GuineaPigPerson

Cavy Slave
My friend wants me to help her pigs as she is getting overwhelmed. She says sometimes they bite (she does know how to properly hold them, I don't know if they have mites or what) and that their poop is everywhere. These two live in a 20''x40'' cage with a single pigloo and a food dish, she's had them for a few weeks I think. I know that when I pet sit them she may offer them to me but how long would I need to qt them for? She says one has something wrong with his ear but I don't know what. I really want to help these poor pigs, get them off Fiesta mix and Kaytee Plus (Carrots) and on to plain pellets and plain hay with a big space to run. I don't think she feeds them veggies and she is afraid to give them a bath. All four of our pigs are from the same pet store (I will not be getting a pet store pig again but I told her she should adopt so that she wouldn't have to deal with sick pigs but she bought two anyway) and mine I bought about three weeks before hers and I assume hers were the replacement for mine. They lived in the same cage at the pet store but never interacted.

Quarantine is usually for three weeks. That's long enough to know that they don't obviously have parasites or an illness.

Can you post a picture of the ear? I wouldn't want to take on a pig that needed a vet visit right away. The problem may be minor, and/or one that we can help with, or it may need vet care. In that case, you might ask your friend if she'll pay for the vet visit, since you're going to be assuming the cost of the rest of the care for the pigs.

Quarantine is usually for three weeks. That's long enough to know that they don't obviously have parasites or an illness.

Can you post a picture of the ear? I wouldn't want to take on a pig that needed a vet visit right away. The problem may be minor, and/or one that we can help with, or it may need vet care. In that case, you might ask your friend if she'll pay for the vet visit, since you're going to be assuming the cost of the rest of the care for the pigs.
See I'm not exactly sure of what she said about the ear, she has sent me pictures of him and his ears look fine they are just more floppy. I don't really know if she was exaggerating or what. I will ask for a picture and if somethings wrong she will surely take him to a vet. All I have for a spare cage is the same one she has now, a 20''x40'' pet store cage, although she will probably give me the cage she has now... Because she has had them for over three weeks does that mean I can just do a short maybe 1 week quarantine to see if there are problems she didn't see?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.